Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport too damaged to travel?!

13 replies

2389Champ · 15/08/2021 14:03

Aaagh! Flying in early hours of Tuesday morning to Spain. Just getting paperwork together - frazzled by Covid test prep! - and found washing liquid has leaked onto my passport! This is the only damage; photo and biometric chip are completely fine. It’s clearly too late to obtain a new one and travel agents say without seeing it in person, they are unable to give a definitive answer.
What do you reckon my chances of being able to travel with it or am I completely stuffed?

Passport too damaged to travel?!
OP posts:
Please
or

PussinKahoots · 15/08/2021 14:17

Try gentle hairdryer. Then possibly iron between sheets of kitchen roll

Please
or

SuperSketchy · 15/08/2021 14:19

I think you can get same day passports if you go to the office in person. You used to be able to. I did a similar thing once and got one the same day. Mine had been through the washing machine and was properly destroyed.

Please
or

purplecorkheart · 15/08/2021 14:20

I would avoid the iron as it could melt then coating on the pages. Is the spill on the visa pages? Will you need to get an entry stamp to the country you are going to?

Please
or

BusterGonad · 15/08/2021 14:21

I would personally say too damaged but I'm no expert.

Please
or

TakeYourFinalPosition · 15/08/2021 15:04

Yeah, I don't think they'll allow that through unless it dries to look significantly better than it does right now... A light hairdryer might be worth a try to see if it seems to be looking better, but if a lot of the colour doesn't lift, I think you'd be lucky to make it through. I've seen people get rejected for pen marks on that page, it seems to be quite strict. I'm always scared to death of damaging mine!

Can you get a one-day appointment for tomorrow?

Please
or

MazDazzle · 15/08/2021 15:19

My husband’s was water damaged at the edge (not as much as yours). They let him through, but warned him he’s have to get it replaced. He didn’t! The next time we flew they refused to let him through so he had to make an emergency appt for a same day passport and fly out two days late.

Please
or

Orf1abc · 15/08/2021 15:26

There's not a hope of getting a same/ next day appointment at the moment. The earliest available slots are currently September.

Please
or

CommanderBurnham · 15/08/2021 16:15

It's very hit and miss. My brother's passport was refused as it was slightly damaged. He had to forfeit his holiday. Maybe phone the passport office and ask???

Please
or

ruumis · 15/08/2021 16:21

I could travel to USA with a passport that was stained with beer. But when I tried to renew visa at the USA embassy they told me to get a new passport. I went straight away to renew it and got it next day. I missed my flight USA but luckily they let me change the date for free.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 15/08/2021 16:28

Phone the passport people. They might be able to help with an emergency replacement.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 15/08/2021 18:09

Definitely ask the passport office.

I don't know if that is 'too damaged' but I was once at the airport desk behind a woman who was being turned away because hers was damaged in some way.

Although it must have been a thing with that flight, because they wouldn't let me on either, because it was overbooked, but luckily for me, I was travelling indirectly because it was much cheaper, and they put me on the direct flight with another airline to my final destination that my client was too tight to pay for and I actually got to my destination before I would have on the flight I was booked on.

Please
or

2389Champ · 16/08/2021 11:26

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.
The passport office, understandably, are also non committed. Without seeing it, they won’t give a definitive answer. I can only hope that that check in/border control aren’t too jobsworth. It’s only for a 5 day break too! Confused Hopefully it will be ok to be machine read.

OP posts:
Please
or

2389Champ · 17/08/2021 17:28

Just in case anyone else is in the same situation, check in and security hardly took any notice of the stain so now in Spain and providing our Covid tests remain negative, panic over!
Will be ordering a replacement passport immediately on return!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?