Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Nervously awaiting fit to fly PCR test results ...

69 replies

zafferana · 05/08/2021 15:45

Almost 2 years of planning, 11 months since booking, many months of thinking we wouldn't be going, then realising that we can, and it comes down to this - the results four PCR tests ...

I should be packing FFS, but a part of brain is still going 'Don't jinx it' 😩

OP posts:
Please
or

Remmy123 · 05/08/2021 16:27

Oh good I feel for you - I will be in same boat this time next week!!

Please
or

loopsngeorge · 05/08/2021 17:08

Ahh, we went through this, now just coming to the end of our Portugal holiday. It will all happen, and it's a great feeling when you know for sure you are going away!

Please
or

WorkHardPlayHard1 · 05/08/2021 17:26

Am in the middle of booking all the freakin tests and actually swore in front of the children about it i had such a paddy on! Argh!

Well done for navigating all that and maybe have a pre-holiday drink to take the edge off before you get results? Part of the holiday fun?

Oh hope you have the most amazing holiday, you deserve it!!

πŸŒ΄πŸ‘‘πŸ₯‚πŸ¦©πŸ‰πŸ•Άβ˜€οΈ

Please
or

Hillfly · 05/08/2021 17:49

While you wait can I ask which outbound PCR company did you use? Need to do this next week ourselves. thx.

Please
or

derekthe1adyhamster · 05/08/2021 17:53

It's a total minefield, booked mine all yesterday. Now panicking that someone will catch covid before we even go....

Please
or

Remmy123 · 05/08/2021 19:25

We are using C19 tests for Ibiza

Please
or

playplayplay · 05/08/2021 22:55

Right with you. Had ours this afternoon, now I'm convinced my stress headache must be Covid and it will be positiveShock Fingers crossed we get our results quickly so we can relax!

Please
or

playplayplay · 05/08/2021 22:57

We used Express Test at Gatwick BTW

Please
or

Theredjellybean · 05/08/2021 22:59

Why are you needing tests?
If you are vaccinated you wouldn't need them

Please
or

playplayplay · 05/08/2021 23:01

Fit to fly is still required for some destinations, even green ones and we're both fully vaccinated.

Please
or

Theredjellybean · 05/08/2021 23:05

That's interesting.. I thought it was just Italy and that's not green.
Where did you go that needed pre entry test?
I am. Genuinely curious

Please
or

playplayplay · 05/08/2021 23:09

We're going to Slovakia

Please
or

playplayplay · 05/08/2021 23:19

@Theredjellybean

That's interesting.. I thought it was just Italy and that's not green.
Where did you go that needed pre entry test?
I am. Genuinely curious

I can see how it's confusing BTW, as the .gov websites only tell you the basic entry rules, so to read through Slovakia's page it looks like that's all you need to do, but actually the Slovak border rules state that if you're not on the 'safe' list, you'll need a PCR to get in, and UK isn't on the list. But being fully vaccinated we don't have to quarantine once we're there, thank goodness.
Please
or

EasterIssland · 05/08/2021 23:28

I used qured for flying back to the uk. We have another holiday booked and I might book with them as antigens are allowed to the country we’re going.
My nose is hating all this !

Please
or

SandyBayley · 06/08/2021 07:07

Joining you. I've spent over Β£500 on tests for the four of us to go to Croatia next week. We'll test on Tuesday night before arriving early on Friday.

I've got the fear now...

Please
or

Hotpinkangel19 · 06/08/2021 07:19

@Theredjellybean

Why are you needing tests?
If you are vaccinated you wouldn't need them

Maybe OP isn't vaccinated πŸ™„
Please
or

MimosaFields · 06/08/2021 07:25

I have used Expresstest several times and I think they are super efficient

Please
or

zafferana · 06/08/2021 08:26

Results came at 5pm, all negative. I can't believe we're going!!!

It's so stressful though waiting for them to come through. We're going to the US, so vaccine status doesn't count - everyone has to have a negative PCR.

We used Randox and they were excellent. The boxes of tests came in good time, the instructions were clear, their website was good and it was easy to use to register the tests, I put the completed tests in one of their drop boxes and we had the results 27 hours later.

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 06/08/2021 08:31

@derekthe1adyhamster

It's a total minefield, booked mine all yesterday. Now panicking that someone will catch covid before we even go....

We were really careful for 10 days before doing the tests, including not allowing DS2 to go to a friend's birthday party. And good thing we were, because one of the mums at the party has since tested +ve 😱
OP posts:
Please
or

SandyBayley · 06/08/2021 08:36

@zafferana - good to hear. We're using Radnox as well. When you take the tests i assume you record the time taken? Just working out the optimum timing for taking the test and getting it to the local drop box before it closes.

Have a wonderful trip!

Please
or

blahblahblah321 · 06/08/2021 08:39

Blimey that was a lucky escape @zafferana ! Have an amazing time

Please
or

zafferana · 06/08/2021 08:40

Yes @SandyBayley, it tells you to register them as you're doing them, but just make sure, if you do that, that you aren't registering them >72 hours before your flight departs.

As long as you get the tests in the Randox drop box before 4pm, you get the results by 11.59 pm the following day.

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 06/08/2021 08:43

Thanks @blahblahblah321. I couldn't believe it when my friend texted me yesterday and told me! Talk about a bullet dodged 😳

OP posts:
Please
or

ToomuchHeat · 06/08/2021 08:45

Have a great break and we thought Randox was fab too!

Test must be within 72 hours of landing for most countries check your requirements

OP have your booking reference for your day 2 tests if you have to do them should be on your email you need this for your return passenger locator form

Please
or

zafferana · 06/08/2021 08:49

Thanks @ToomuchHeat, the email confirmation has the booking ref numbers on it so I'm all set. Travelling in the time of COVID isn't for the disorganised!!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?