Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Airbnb cancellations?

6 replies

rookiemere · 18/07/2021 20:10

Looking to book a Tenerife villa for October holidays. Obviously due to circumstances need something with a flexible cancellation policy.
I've found a great villa on Airbnb which says free cancellation until 10th Oct then 50% plus service fee after that, I'd need to pay 50% upfront but presumably fully refundable.

Does anyone have any experience of cancelling through Airbnb - will it stick to what's on the booking regarding cancellation?

OP posts:
Please
or

Muststopeating · 18/07/2021 20:17

Well I had a villa through airbnb booked in Croatia for my brothers wedding last summer. I booked it pre COVID and there was no cancellation after the first 14 days.

However, having told the owner that the wedding was cancelled and that we were waiting for new dates to see about rescheduling (I was trying not to ask for refunds at the time), my entire payment was refunded.

No hassles whatsoever. I never had to go via AirBnb so no idea how owner specific it was. AirBnb also announced a COVID refund policy early on.

My experience was very positive and I would definitely use them again.

Please
or

SummerSazz · 18/07/2021 20:19

I think they have to refund in full if canx more than 7 days in advance. My friend canx one and had the money in her account later the same day

Please
or

rookiemere · 18/07/2021 20:20

That's useful to know @Muststopeating - I wouldn't hesitate to book cancellable on booking.com or vrbo, but I'm just a bit suspicious of airbnb for some reason.

OP posts:
Please
or

Barwell76 · 18/07/2021 20:21

Yes Ive had a refund from Airbnb, it was within the cancellation period. No problems with them.

Please
or

rookiemere · 18/07/2021 21:08

This all sounds quite positive then. Thanks folks.

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 19/07/2021 12:17

I've cancelled four things with Airbnb since the start of the pandemic and they've been amazing each time. I received automatic immediate refunds. Just make sure that the booking you make allows you the flexibility you need and it will be fine.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?