Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Live in England but flying from Wales

19 replies

silkience · 11/07/2021 09:50

Someone please help! Cannot find this information online anywhere!

I have a holiday booked to an Amber country. I had pretty much written it off until Shapps recent announcement. But Wales have not yet made such an announcement, they also have different testing rules.

Does anyone know whether I would follow the rules for England re quarantining and testing or whether I would have to follow the rules for Wales?

OP posts:
Please
or

Nootkah · 11/07/2021 10:26

I am pretty sure the testing rules will be Wales, as these are based on the place youre flying into and are checked before departure, so you will have to have Wales compliant tests booked in order to board.

One of the rules about quarantine/isolation in Wales is that you can break it for the purpose of leaving Wales so I think you'd be good to travel back to England.

Tbh I imagine they will change the rules in line with England, as we dont have any border controls between Wales and England so to have diffefent arrivals rules doesnt seem workable or fair.
gov.wales/travel-wales-covid-19-testing-and-isolation

Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 10:34

Thanks so much for your reply and link @Nootkah

Fingers crossed Wales make the same announcement re: quarantining!

OP posts:
Please
or

Muchtoomuchtodo · 11/07/2021 10:36

@silkience

Thanks so much for your reply and link *@Nootkah*

Fingers crossed Wales make the same announcement re: quarantining!

I wouldn’t hold your breath!
Tests are also much more expensive to stick to the current Welsh rules according to a couple of my friends.
Please
or

Nootkah · 11/07/2021 11:40

@silkience Yes, I'm in Wales, travelling to Menorca. Have to order through CTM. The information about that is on the link.

When are you travelling? The next announcement for Wales is this week.

Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 12:05

Not for another five weeks but I have to cancel hotel in six days to get my money back. It's all very stressful!

The Tests are a little more expensive too. Torn at the moment as I could really do with a holiday!

OP posts:
Please
or

Nootkah · 11/07/2021 13:30

@silkience could you change your departure airport to one in England? Just tobe on the safe side? Six weeks is a long time in covid rule changes. Id say its equally likely that all restrictions will be removed, or everything is so bad that no other country will let us in!

Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 17:51

@Nootkah all the flights I looked at to match our hotel booking were crazy expensive!

This afternoon I just decided to cancel both - full refund on hotel and then flight credit for flight. Disappointed but less stressed. Who knows, maybe I'll get a good last minute deal, already have the annual leave booked so will be keeping an eye out!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

OP posts:
Please
or

Nootkah · 11/07/2021 18:12

@silkience I am a bit jealous! We're supposed to be flying this weekend, Im not an anxious person but Im tying myself in knots trying to line everything up

Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 19:29

@Nootkah I bet once you are there relaxing in the sun away from this bloody awful weather you'll relax and enjoy, hope you have a fab time Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Rubyandcjmummy · 11/07/2021 21:14

I’ve the same predicament. We live in Cornwall but flying to Cyprus from Cardiff . I’m assuming England rules apply (we are double vaccinated) that we don’t have to quarantine but don’t know about testing when we are back as day 2 test will be when we r home in Cornwall . And is it any private test for before we fly back into the uk or is there specific Welsh company we need ?

Please
or

Nootkah · 11/07/2021 21:52

@Rubyandcjmummy

English isolation rules will apply, but I think you will need to meet the rules for entry into Wales, which requires a test from CTM rather than any private provider. gov.wales/travel-wales-covid-19-testing-and-isolation

Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 22:02

@Rubyandcjmummy as above, just be careful to follow the testing rules for Wales, I am also in Cornwall! Were you flying Vueling? They gave me a flight credit when I cancelled today.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rubyandcjmummy · 13/07/2021 21:56

Flying wizz air. So the test for flying back to uk is private company? But day 2 test needs to be ordered from nhs Wales ? Is that right

Please
or

Rubyandcjmummy · 13/07/2021 22:10

Also when on the Wales booking site I have to pay for 2 tests as it’s an amber country but in England as we r both double vaccinated we only need a day 2 test so it’s gonna cost even more that double the price it’s like 4 times the price for each of us

Please
or

JackieCollinshasnoauthority · 13/07/2021 22:24

I think if your final destination is England you would follow English rules but I can't find info on either the Welsh or UK government site to confirm this.

I do know that you have to follow Welsh rules if you fly into England and your final destination if Wales. So it makes sense (to me at least) that the reverse is true.

Also, there is a Welsh government update tomorrow so they may change the rules.

Please
or

Nootkah · 13/07/2021 23:45

@JackieCollinshasnoauthority I think this is pretty clear that you need to meet Welsh regulations to arrive in Wales. There is somewhere that says its about wherever you arrive rather than where you are travelling to. However, as you say, it is likely to change tomorrow.

Please
or

Nootkah · 13/07/2021 23:50

@JackieCollinshasnoauthority Here is the document that explains it is about ARRIVING in Wales, rather than final destination being in England. gov.wales/rules-foreign-travel-and-wales-coronavirus-covid-19-html

Please
or

Nootkah · 14/07/2021 18:30

@Rubyandcjmummy Welsh travel rules have been updated in line with England. Now only need the one day 2 test from amber if fully vacccinated, but it definitely does need to be booked through CTM portal if you're entering the UK via Wales.

Please
or

Rubyandcjmummy · 15/07/2021 17:50

Just seen it thank you makes it a bit easier but still £44 more each than we were paying for day 2 tests . An extra £264 🙈 the test for coming back into Wales that’s booked with anyone isn’t it doesn’t have to be a specific company

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?