Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Teens to France?

71 replies

Northernlass99 · 09/07/2021 10:31

So with the change to quarantine announced we have been asked by our travel company if we want to go ahead with our trip to a gite in France, which we had previously cancelled.

Yes we do! But the issue is we are taking five teens who won't be vaccinated. Under 11s are exempt from any vaccination requirements but it is not clear about teens on entry/arrival in France.

I am finding conflicting information. Can anyone help?

OP posts:
Please
or

Whichjab · 09/07/2021 10:36

those travelling aged 11 years old or over, will need evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure, or an antigen test within 48 hours of departure. There will be random antigen testing for unvaccinated arrivals.
Travellers who are not fully vaccinated will need to self-isolate for 7 days after arrival, then take another PCR test following this period of self-isolation

The UK is currently on the French amber list

If travelling to France from a country on the amber list, those who are not fully vaccinated will only be permitted to travel for essential reasons

According to the government travel website, unvaccinated are not allowed to travel for pleasure, and those that travel for exceptional reasons need to isolate if unvaccinated

Please
or

Whichjab · 09/07/2021 10:38

Children under the age of 18 years old, who are travelling with fully vaccinated adults, will be exempt from requirements to self-isolate and provide an essential reason for travel, regardless of whether the minor has been vaccinated or not

So I'd say no you can't travel to France for a holiday with teens.

I must admit when I saw that the UK government said we were allowed to travel with unvaccinated teens I did think that no other country would let us in.

Please
or

Lostinacloud · 09/07/2021 10:48

www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Covid-19-Rules-for-travel-to-and-from-France
These are the up to date latest rules. And minors are considered to be children up to the age of 18 in france. Whatjabs second post above actually says that children up to the age of 18 travelling with vaccinated parents don’t have to isolate or have a major reason for travelling despite being unvaccinated themselves.
So yes, I’d say you can travel to france with teens.

Please
or

Whichjab · 09/07/2021 10:55

You are right, my reading comprehension has evidently gone on holiday! At least it's not just our government that has a peculiar response.

Please
or

Nootkah · 09/07/2021 10:59

The FCDO website is a food place to look for all the requirements. My reading of it suggests that, as long as your teens are under 18 and travelling with fully vaccinated adults, that they are exempt from needing to be vaccinated and from isolating. You all need pre departure tests (even those doubly jabbed)

Please
or

Northernlass99 · 09/07/2021 11:51

Thanks, yes it is confusing. I checked FDCO but still wasn't 100% clear!

Children under the age of 18 years old, who are travelling with fully vaccinated adults, will be exempt from requirements to self-isolate and provide an essential reason for travel, regardless of whether the minor has been vaccinated or not - where is this taken from please?

Obviously we will have to comply with the other requirements and testing etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

Northernlass99 · 09/07/2021 11:55

Don't worry, I've found that statement on the FDCO site.

So looks like we can go!!

This trip was booked two years ago before we even heard of covid. Parents are in their eighties and teens might be too grown up/cool to come next year so we will go if we can. Eurotunnel and our own gite so should be relatively safe.

OP posts:
Please
or

newmum1976 · 09/07/2021 12:58

Have you worked out what testing is needed? I’m still puzzled by it. We have 2 x double vaccinated adults, plus a 13, 12 and 5 year old in our group.

Please
or

Lostinacloud · 09/07/2021 13:38

This is a useful graphic from the connexion france news website. The uk is currently an Amber/orange country. Vaccinated adults and accompanying children under 18 can travel into france with no essential reason required or requirement to isolate on arrival. They will need a negative pcr or antigen test before travelling though.
For the return, pcr and antigen tests are sadly no longer free in France for tourists but they are available at many pharmacies or local “lab” centres. An antigen test is 29 euros and a pcr test is 49 euros per person. PCR results generally take no longer than 24 hours. Antigen tests are 15-20 minutes. All are nasal tests.

Teens to France?
Please
or

Lostinacloud · 09/07/2021 13:40

The link i posted earlier also suggested that under 11’s wouldn’t need a negative test for entry.

Please
or

Northernlass99 · 10/07/2021 11:34

Thanks Lostinacloud for the useful info.

So the situation as I understand it is:

• PCR test (72 hours before) or an antigen test (48 hours before) for everyone over 11.

• Between 11-18 don't need to be vaccinated if travelling with a vaccinated adult.

• Then same testing on the way back which you can get in a chemist or test centre near your holiday destination.

• Then no further tests or quarantine on return.
OP posts:
Please
or

Barwell76 · 10/07/2021 12:51

Does anyone know what would happen if you test positive in France?

Please
or

newmum1976 · 10/07/2021 14:05

I think all people 5 yrs or older also need a special PCR test two days after return to the UK. The cheapest I can find this is £49 per person!!

Please
or

Bramshott · 10/07/2021 16:14

Trying to pick through this question too but with an older teen. As I understand it:

DH and I are ok as double vaccinated
DD2 (14) is ok (with test) as under 18
DD1 (18) can't go, even if she's prepared to quarantine and test on return as she needs an "essential reason" to travel to France Sad

Please
or

madamy · 10/07/2021 16:29

We have a similar problem as DD1 is 18 and has just 1 vaccine. So, is she classed an an adult in which case she's not fully vaccinated, or a child in which case she can travel as we're both fully vaccinated!!

Please
or

Bramshott · 10/07/2021 16:57

I think they ate classed as adults Sad. DD1 would be prepared to quarantine on return, but as I understand it she won't be allowed to enter France Sad

Please
or

notimagain · 10/07/2021 18:17

@Barwell76

Does anyone know what would happen if you test positive in France?

In simple terms last time I checked a positive test result meant ten days self isolation…..

If you find yourself with a high temperature at the end of the period you take another two days in isolation…
Please
or

clarrylove · 10/07/2021 18:25

I believe you all also need the PCR test 2 days after arrival back in the UK.

Please
or

clarrylove · 10/07/2021 18:29

So 3 X PCR tests per person over 11 years is approx £150 each. 😬

Please
or

motogogo · 10/07/2021 18:31

We've just cancelled because the testing was going to cost as much as the holiday (and we are double vaxxed!) check very carefully on the costs

Please
or

Barwell76 · 10/07/2021 22:46

Where do you isolate though? Unless you have family in France it would be difficult to find accommodation at a days notice. Would hotels even take you if they knew? Or are there government quarantine hotels?

Please
or

BlackAlys · 10/07/2021 23:02

Marking place as I'm in the same position. Chunnel
Booked for end June and no campsites/gîte to go to as yet.

Don't think we can afford the expense.'

Please
or

notimagain · 11/07/2021 07:24

@Barwell76

Where do you isolate though? Unless you have family in France it would be difficult to find accommodation at a days notice. Would hotels even take you if they knew? Or are there government quarantine hotels?

No idea what the deal with regard to (emergency) accommodation would be TBH, and I’ve not heard of anything being set up by the state.
Please
or

Northernlass99 · 11/07/2021 17:25

Regarding costs, my research (I hope I am right, someone tell me if now!) is that you can take an antigen test up to 48 hours prior to departure and for the 2 day test after you have returned - 39 pound with wren. Then the antigen test 72 hours before departure from France in a pharmacy is around 29 euros. So total could be around 110 pounds. Still a lot of cost but coming down.

Regarding catching it abroad, it is a risk but if you are double jabbed it should be OK (?)

OP posts:
Please
or

froggybiby · 11/07/2021 20:46

@Northernlass99

Regarding costs, my research (I hope I am right, someone tell me if now!) is that you can take an antigen test up to 48 hours prior to departure and for the 2 day test after you have returned - 39 pound with wren. Then the antigen test 72 hours before departure from France in a pharmacy is around 29 euros. So total could be around 110 pounds. Still a lot of cost but coming down.

Regarding catching it abroad, it is a risk but if you are double jabbed it should be OK (?)

Is this right, I wasn't sure you could use the antigen test before flying, where do you do this one? I was hoping to go and see my parents, but seeing as it all seems so complicated. We are double vaccinated, but DD is 12. (sad)
Hopefully in october, it may be better....praying we can make it then as 2 years since my last visit.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?