Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Majorca testing requirements!

99 replies

Katie1109 · 01/07/2021 21:13

For anyone who is not fully vaccinated, please see link below. Spanish government and health ministry website seems to suggest that rapid antigen tests are acceptable for entry…unlike our gov website and travel companies - trying to make more money on PCR perhaps?
Just scroll down to questions part on the website:

www.spth.gob.es/

What is everyone doing if they’re planning on going in the next week or so?

OP posts:
Please
or

albicocca · 02/07/2021 04:48

After lots of research I think Spain not now accepting antigen tests from today (2nd). I'm expecting the Spanish site to update today. It is very confusing though! I fly on 7th and I'm planning on getting a LAMP test the day before - 2 hour turnaround and acceptable for entry (according to both UK and Spanish websites). But I might be wrong and everything could change between now and then!

Please
or

astuz · 02/07/2021 06:45

We are still agonising over whether to go or not. When I look at the amount of testing and the cost, it really puts me off, but then the deal we've found is so good, that it's still cheaper than going in normal times.

And the weather will be nice and it'll be fairly quiet over there (I guess), whereas if we go somewhere in the UK, everywhere will be heaving and the weather will be crap.

We only need to do a test to go out there for my DD age 16 (other DD is under 12, DH & I are double vaxxed), and I think I'll just pay the extra money for an in-person PCR test with quick turn around - it's worth paying to reduce the stress.
We then need pre-departure tests to get back & day 2 tests for all 4 of us - I'm putting myself off going again now I'm thinking about all the testing!

Please
or

cptartapp · 02/07/2021 06:57

DS and four friends going on Tuesday. They're arranging quick turnaround PCR tests (not cheap) to meet the 48 hour window rule.

Please
or

COL1N · 02/07/2021 07:06

Is everyone else's understanding that if you are doubly vaccinated you don't need to provide a negative test?

Please
or

NeedingCoffee · 02/07/2021 07:12

I think that if double vaxed you don’t need anything to go Uk to Spain (except vax evidence on the NHS App or an official letter).
On the way back you still need
A) a test before flying home (can be lateral flow)
B) a test within 2 days of arriving home (must be PCR)

For those not double vaxed, add a test within 48 hours before leaving the UK. But what I’d love to know is whether the 48 hours applies to the take off time or Spain arrival time, and also where people are going which guarantees the results in time. I’m struggling to find anywhere - they all say “results within 24 hours of our lab receiving the test”, but that’s at the mercy of the post or courier service, which at the weekend is a particular issue….

Please
or

Katie1109 · 02/07/2021 07:20

Even UK gov website states that antigen tests are acceptable when travelling from at risk country - as of today UK is at risk country. Palma Mallorca airport website also states specifically that antigen tests are acceptable. I’m planning on going with antigen fit to fly and printed out information from their government and airport website stating antigen tests are ok - where I live there is no way of getting quick turnaround PCR!

OP posts:
Please
or

astuz · 02/07/2021 07:24

@NeedingCoffee I'm looking at Randox for the test for DD age 16 who needs one before we go out, and they seem to do 'in-person' tests, and for an extra fee, they'll do a 12 hour turn around on those. I'm not risking putting anything in the post. Other companies do these in-person tests as well.

Please
or

Katie1109 · 02/07/2021 07:26

There’s an extract from Spanish health ministry website

OP posts:
Please
or

Katie1109 · 02/07/2021 07:26

Forgot pic

OP posts:
Please
or

astuz · 02/07/2021 07:27

@Katie1109 The info you've posted would mean we could even just use an NHS LFT test as well, because the Spanish government aren't going to care if it's a free NHS one or not, which would save some money.

My stress levels are telling me to just book an in-person PCR test though, for peace of mind.

Please
or

Katie1109 · 02/07/2021 07:53

@astuz NHS won’t give you fit to fly test, it’s still need to be documented negative result x I’m taking antigen and all info printed. EasyJet website states antigen test are acceptable! Just seen it.

OP posts:
Please
or

Katie1109 · 02/07/2021 08:55

I have just chatted with Majorca airport customer services and had it confirmed that antigen tests are acceptable for entry from UK!

OP posts:
Please
or

LittleRen · 02/07/2021 09:55

What are the rules for children whos parents have been double vaccinated? Do they still have to do all of the tests? I can't seem to find the answer.

Please
or

astuz · 02/07/2021 14:51

For Majorca, children under 12 are exempt. I have one child under 12 and one over, so my older DD needs a test to get there (going to look into LFT ones now), but younger DD doesn't.

Please
or

LittleRen · 02/07/2021 14:53

My big fear is one of the kids testing positive on arrival or return. Or track and trace when we are there. I really want to do it as I am desperate to go abroad but i am just nervous!

Please
or

Amboseli · 02/07/2021 19:59

@Katie1109 I think there can sometimes be a problem if the check in staff in the UK aren't up to speed with current requirements, so whatever Majorca airport says, if UK airport think you don't have the correct papers you'll be denied boarding, even though you would be allowed in at the other end.

We're booked for Majorca on 17th July. I'm still not 100% sure whether antigen is acceptable and have decided not to risk it and to go for PCR LAMP which I'm 100% sure is acceptable and has 90 min turnaround time.

Although if there is more clarity closer to the time I might switch to antigen.

I'm so desperate to get away that I'm willing to jump through whatever hoops are necessary!

Please
or

IsabellesMissingSock · 02/07/2021 20:14

I have been closely following this. I am pretty sure you need a PCR test, taken within 48 hours prior to arrival at your destination. It's been painfully unclear all week tho.

Please
or

IsabellesMissingSock · 02/07/2021 20:15

Yeah I think PCR LAMP is fine too. Not that I actually know what that is! Antigen is not ok.

Please
or

TigerLils · 02/07/2021 20:22

Oh hi @Katie1109 I just seen this thread and realised that you commented on my too … here is to holidays in Majorca 😂
How unclear this has been hasn’t it wit the testing 🙄 just came to say that I hope you get something sorted and it’ll be all worth it once you are at the beach soaking up the sun ☀️

Please
or

Atalune · 02/07/2021 21:20

Watching with internet. Very close to pressing “book now” on all my saved Mallorca holidays! Grin

Please
or

Watapalava · 03/07/2021 09:56

48 hr before arrival for pcr really does mean people need a day before test just incase of delays etc

Worth paying but more to guarantee

Please
or

Amboseli · 03/07/2021 10:36

No I think as long as your test is within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival time it's fine. It's impossible to anticipate delays and time your test accordingly!

Please
or

Frenziedfishes · 03/07/2021 10:39

Unhelpful I know but this makes me glad our holiday was cancelled!

Please
or

IsabellesMissingSock · 03/07/2021 13:34

@Amboseli

No I think as long as your test is within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival time it's fine. It's impossible to anticipate delays and time your test accordingly!

I factored in several hours' worth of plane delay for mine. We got same-day PCR tests. In the end, no one at the airport actually checked the time of the test. But the airport was INSANELY busy so maybe they just weren't bothering that day but do other times.
Please
or

Amboseli · 03/07/2021 14:11

@IsabellesMissingSock yes I suspect that will be the case, the people on the ground won't check everything thoroughly. But we'll still get ours done within correct time frame.

Do you mind me asking how much your same day PCR cost? I'm looking at LAMP for £82 with 90 min turnaround.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?