Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Double vaccinated - Amber list

26 replies

TheExtraGuineaPig · 26/06/2021 23:01

I feel like I'm losing track of what's happening wrt testing and quarantine.

Grant Shapps confirmed they would be changing the rules so on return from an Amber list country people who've been double vaccinated don't have to isolate - but he didn't say when.

Does anyone know if there's been further info on this or when it might come out? Or any good guesses?

OP posts:
Please
or

notimagain · 27/06/2021 08:33

@TheExtraGuineaPig

I feel like I'm losing track of what's happening wrt testing and quarantine.

Grant Shapps confirmed they would be changing the rules so on return from an Amber list country people who've been double vaccinated don't have to isolate - but he didn't say when.

Does anyone know if there's been further info on this or when it might come out? Or any good guesses?

Unfortunately this is as definitive as it gets…from BBC two days ago:

“ Transport Secretary Grant Shapps also said the government plans to drop quarantine for fully vaccinated people returning from amber list countries "later in the summer".”
Please
or

notimagain · 27/06/2021 09:05

I should have added…that comment from the BBC aligns itself with what I’ve heard/read from some those still working in the transport (specificallt aviation) industry.

HMG want to avoid making any changes or committing themselves to making any changes for as long as possible, so I wouldn’t even begin hazard a guess as to if/when there will be any change.

Please
or

Silkiecats · 27/06/2021 09:32

I think I read somewhere no earlier than 19 July but the trouble is there are also rumours that Germany is trying to get the EU to put quarantine on all UK travellers included the double vaccinated.

We are watching as DH's family are in France but it changes all the time both ours and there's and I'm not very hopeful for this summer. I think Spain has said they won't impose quarantine but you really need to research the current rules and book last minute and there's still a risk will change over there.

Please
or
Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/06/2021 09:37

I guess they are reluctant to give a firm date as the situation is so changeable. "Later in the summer" is all I've seen mentioned and
I took that to mean early August.

Please
or

notimagain · 27/06/2021 09:58

@Silkiecats

I think I read somewhere no earlier than 19 July but the trouble is there are also rumours that Germany is trying to get the EU to put quarantine on all UK travellers included the double vaccinated.

One theory in play is that HMG will reduce their restrictions PDQ once /if the EU states increase theirs………

Please
or

zafferana · 27/06/2021 13:36

On Sunday morning, Paul Charles and Simon Calder do a one-hour Q&A on Travel Radio. This morning Simon Calder mentioned a story from the Daily Express that officials from the Canary Islands government are saying that British travellers will not have to quarantine on return from amber list countries after 15th July, so although our govt haven't committed to a date yet, it would seem that they are talking to other countries behind the scenes, who have leaked the story ahead of the next travel review on 15th July. Bear in mind that the announcement is made on on 15th, but it probably won't come into force until the 18th or 19th July.

Please
or

HaggisBurger · 27/06/2021 13:57

Assuming a scenario of a double vaccinated adult travelling with under 18s - presumably the under 18s would still need to self-isolate (or test their way out after 5 days?)

Please
or

zafferana · 27/06/2021 14:12

No, that's not what the jungle drums are saying @HaggisBurger. Under-18s travelling with fully vaccinated parents are apparently NOT going to have to quarantine as DC can't be required to quarantine unless their DPs are too.

Please
or

TheWitchwithNoName · 27/06/2021 14:15

I’m wondering what will happen to DC’s if one parent is fully vaccinated and one isn’t?

Please
or

HaggisBurger · 27/06/2021 14:18

Ahh!!! Great news. I’m booked to go to one of the Greek islands 22 July with 2 dc on my own

Please
or

roses2 · 27/06/2021 14:23

Isn't this going to be subject to daily tests which are ££££?

Please
or

minipie · 27/06/2021 16:14

They have said this change will happen “later in the summer” and that there will be more information about this “next month”.

Clear as mud. All that’s clear is that the change won’t be happening any time soon.

Please
or

minipie · 27/06/2021 16:16

I read something which suggests there is debate going on within govt about whether this change should happen on 19 July (the new “freedom day” re UK rules) or early August. But pure speculation.

Please
or

abricotine · 27/06/2021 17:39

I've seen dates around 2nd August mentioned in the Times. All leak and rumour though, as is the way with the Johnson government!

Please
or

abricotine · 27/06/2021 17:40

@minipie

I read something which suggests there is debate going on within govt about whether this change should happen on 19 July (the new “freedom day” re UK rules) or early August. But pure speculation.

Yes and this - the hawks (Shapps etc) are keen to roll into the "freedom day" and the likes of Hancock preferred to wait. Javid has expressed himself very keen to "get back to normal", whatever that means! Here's hoping.
Please
or

zafferana · 27/06/2021 18:40

Fingers crossed for us all. We're still hoping to go on our amber list holiday 🤞🏻

Please
or

zafferana · 27/06/2021 18:41

@roses2

Isn't this going to be subject to daily tests which are ££££?

Lateral flows are apparently being considered as an alternative to PCRs.
Please
or

Medstudent12 · 27/06/2021 19:13

@zafferana me too! Will you still go even if amber quarantine rules stay the same?

Please
or

zafferana · 27/06/2021 19:16

@Medstudent12 I would, but DH says no. I'm cautiously optimistic though. Call me a cynic, but the summer parliamentary recess coincides with school summer holidays, so if any relaxing of quarantine rules happens I'm willing to bet that it will be from the end of July.

Please
or

TheExtraGuineaPig · 27/06/2021 22:47

We are in the same position - due to go out late July and return on August 1st. The comms for this (whatever your opinion on the plan) has been an absolute disaster

OP posts:
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 28/06/2021 09:11

Maybe there will be more news as part of today's update?

It could all get better after mid July, or they could decide that the risk will be lowered somewhat if they wait until after the peak of the summer period, so end of August rather than the beginning?

Plus you've got to wait until our inevitable increase in cases plays out vs restrictions this may cause other nations to put on us. It's all very well not needing to quarantine after you've been to Spain, Greece etc, but if they won't let us in, or impose restrictions on us, it's unlikely to be worth going.

Please
or

Troutfin · 28/06/2021 12:15

Today's update from Portugal has stumped us. We have a holiday booked, DH & I fully vaccinated but our 17 year old obviously not. So would she be required to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in Portugal, which obviously nixes the trip for us?

The FO guidance doesn't specify, nor the VisitPortugal advice which is on the Portuguese Consulate's website. I don't know where else to look. It's like they've all forgotten under 18's.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 28/06/2021 12:26

That's pretty much the situation in Malta too Trout.

Fine for vaccinated adults, 11 YO and under exempt, but no provision for 12-17 YOs who can't get vaccinated but can't enter the country unrestricted.

I can see quite a lot changing in the next few days/weeks, but obviously unhelpful for the people with trips booked in that time.

Please
or

Shakirasma · 28/06/2021 12:50

We are in the same boat as you @Troutfin. DH and I both double vaxxed, 14YO obviously not. No mention of children at all on websites. So does that mean kids cannot travel without quarantining? I'm assuming so

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?