Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

AIBU to think the FCO advice for Amber countries will change?

22 replies

PlumpCushion · 25/06/2021 07:38

If rules change to allow fully vaccinated to avoid quarantine then logically, surely non essential travel for everyone else to Amber countries will become easier, from a travel insurance point of view.

At the moment it’s the lack of travel insurance rather than quarantine that puts me off going on my trip to Greece. But surely if they are going to lift quarantine for some , a by product of this will be a change in non essential FCO travel advice for everyone.

AIBU to assume that the ‘Amber countries means no travel insurance’ issue will disappear for everyone once they ditch quarantine for the vaccinated? Surely they can’t have two tier FCO advice…

OP posts:
Please
or

WhiteChocTwix · 25/06/2021 08:09

@PlumpCushion you can get travel insurance now for Amber countries. I'm currently in Greece. We brought a policy with StaySure and added on their extension for travel to a European amber country.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 25/06/2021 08:27

Really, whitechoc? Wow! Whereabouts? I’d read so many threads saying that scenario would be uninsurable! We have an annual policy already with endsleigh which is turning out the a big waste of money!

OP posts:
Please
or

WhiteChocTwix · 25/06/2021 09:02

@PlumpCushion yes definitely have a look at Staysure Travel Insurance:

www.staysure.co.uk/coronavirus-travel-insurance/

I think we paid about £38 for single trip cover, DH found a 5% discount code online. You have to add their European FCDO Travel Advice Extension onto the policy so you're covered for Greece. Go for it, the weather is glorious out here and case numbers are low. Hope that helps.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 25/06/2021 10:30

Will do! I’m sooo jealous WCT. Where are you staying?

OP posts:
Please
or

WhiteChocTwix · 25/06/2021 10:41

We're currently in Naxos, the weather is incredible! We were in Mykonos before that.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 25/06/2021 11:20

Enjoy:)

OP posts:
Please
or

No1HolidayPlanner · 25/06/2021 13:35

I'm hoping to go to Crete in August.. quote with Staysure is very reasonable 😊

Please
or

Medstudent12 · 25/06/2021 15:47

I am hoping for Greece too! Is there any sign they’ll ban brits lime Belgium are? Holding out hope that they don’t.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 25/06/2021 19:05

@Medstudent12 I think that only countries that don’t rely on British tourists will take that stance!

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 28/06/2021 13:52

EasyJet have just cancelled our flights 🙁

OP posts:
Please
or

Eve · 28/06/2021 13:54

I thought you were going to say it’s about to change as Boris is allegedly in Portugal - I bet no quarantine for him same as Gove didn’t have to quarantine!🙄Hmm

Please
or

99victoria · 28/06/2021 20:44

@PlumpCushion
Can you not change your flights? We had to change ours 3 times but looks like we are now heading off on Saturday :)

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 29/06/2021 06:28

There are no more available for sale at that time (Greek mainland). So the whole trip needs a rethink! No point rebooking anything until the last minute, I think!

OP posts:
Please
or

purplesequins · 29/06/2021 06:33

tbh I think everything is complicated by other countries making up their rules as well.
it's all well that a country is green, but if it has entry requirements that are difficult to meet then that's of no use.

remembers those days where you could turn up at the last minute counter at the airport with your passport and bags and just get the next flight out?

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 29/06/2021 14:27

Exactly, @purplesequins!
There’s literally no point rebooking anything for the end of July until the very last minute 😏

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 09/07/2021 09:25

Yay! Advice for all of Greece has just changed. Not just a few islands. My prediction was correct. Hope my trip goes ahead!

OP posts:
Please
or

greywell · 09/07/2021 18:14

Does anyone know how long a test takes to arrive? We want to take the test with us and do it in the resort.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 06:56

How would that work greywell?
How would the test be processed? Don’t they have to be PCR tests for the return?

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 08:09

@greywell this issue ^^is turning out to be a minefield!
Have started a new thread on the subject:)

OP posts:
Please
or

greywell · 11/07/2021 09:54

They don't have to bre PCR tests for the return I don't think. Others are booking video calls at the resort (using a test they have taken with them).

Please
or

greywell · 11/07/2021 09:58

PlumpCushion, what is the new thread called?

Please
or

99victoria · 11/07/2021 11:56

We got antigen tests at our resort - €20 each

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?