Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

PCR test for Madeira - help!

8 replies

HereWeGoAgainPart2 · 29/05/2021 09:54

I’m off to Madeira in a couple of weeks and looking online I need a PCR test with a negative result within 48 hours of flying. All fine except my local Boots are selling a home PCR test for £60 - you do the test yourself and post it off and they give you the result. This would be perfect for me as I live very rurally and the only place I can find that is doing in store PCR tests is over an hour drive away.

I can’t seem to find any information anywhere about whether these home tests are valid though. I’ve asked in store and they just said “it should be but if you’re worried book for one in a larger store” which is no help at all.

Does anyone know? TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

Dontforgetyourbrolly · 29/05/2021 09:56

Check with your airline

Please
or

TakeYourFinalPosition · 29/05/2021 10:04

I don’t know specifically about Madeira but home tests weren’t allowable for any work trips that I went on last year, as there’s no way to prove that you actually took the test.

Please
or

HereWeGoAgainPart2 · 29/05/2021 10:04

The airline is EasyJet - I’ve been trying to call pretty much non-stop for the last few days and unless you’re trying to buy a new flight they just won’t speak to you and redirect you to the website which is not helpful.

OP posts:
Please
or

HereWeGoAgainPart2 · 29/05/2021 10:05

That’s what I thought takeyourfinalposition, that’s what I had when I flew in December. But I can’t find any clarification anywhere

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 29/05/2021 12:31

I would think as long as a lab processes your result after you do the test at home it should be ok to use. Does the Boots test paperwork ask for your passport number?

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 29/05/2021 13:09

I arrived in portugal yesterday. PCR from Randox was fine and results within 26 hours of dropping tests in the Dropbox. No problem

Please
or

mrsrobin · 30/05/2021 12:16

Are you vaccinated (twice) - I am sure I read somewhere Madeira will accept proof of this instead of having a test to enter?

Please
or

HereWeGoAgainPart2 · 30/05/2021 21:19

I’ve only had one vaccination so far, partner has too. We decided to book the more expensive tests that you do in store just to be on the safe side. It’s a pain in the arse getting there and back before heading to the airport the next day but at least I won’t be worrying about being turned away.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?