Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Croatia

8 replies

frick · 24/05/2021 20:15

Hi.
I’m starting to dream about a holiday for next year. We’ve only ever driven to France and camped, but I think I’d really like to try Croatia. It will be me and dH and DD 11. We won’t be camping, I’ll maybe look into an air b n b or apartment. Would like to be the beach, maybe a nice town to explore. We definitely prefer quiet and rustic and aren’t really fussed about bars/nightlife - although a nice restaurant wouldn’t go amiss!
Would love to hear of any nice places or spots you are fond of in Croatia.
Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

Chicchicchicchiclana · 24/05/2021 20:18

There aren't really any beaches in Croatia. Stunning country though, very hot, beautiful coastline. I would recommend. We flew in/out of Zadar and stayed rather remotely in the countryside so needed a car. We went to Zadar for a day trip and loved it there.

Please
or

lljkk · 24/05/2021 20:29

There are sandy beaches on islands near Dubrovnik.
There are stony beaches around the city.

Very hot when we went, early August. The heat was very challenging!

Please
or

Mumof3cherubs · 24/05/2021 20:31

We had a fantastic time at a Zaton holiday resort. Zadar itself has the most glorious sunset. There are several national parks we loved Krka where you can swim at the foot of a waterfall.

Please
or

organicapricot · 24/05/2021 20:36

I can recommend Pula. There were some small sandy beaches and the town itself is quite small but a few bars/restaurants. Didn't feel as touristy as Dubrovnik area. There is a glamping site called Arena one 99 which was brilliant and would be great for kids. I know you said no camping but I'm certainly not a camper and I loved it.

Please
or

Inclinedtochatter · 24/05/2021 20:36

We went to Poreć when I was younger and it was beautiful. Definitely my favourite holiday. It felt very safe and clean. We even took a catamaran boat trip over to Venice for the day.

Please
or

PurpleWh1teGreen · 24/05/2021 20:47

The Dalmatian coast between Split & Dubrovnik is the best, and if you are up for extra travel the Islands are fabulous as well.

Beaches are pebbly, not Sandy, but the sea is beautiful. But some beach shoes & you'll be good.

Tucepi, Brela, Baska Voda, primosten all worth a look.

Islands, try Korcula, Brac and Hvar.

Croatia
Croatia
Please
or

ThisIsAQuestion · 24/05/2021 20:49

We love Croatia! Put off going for ages due to lack of sandy beaches. When we got there it wasn't an issue. We found we much preferred the rocky type beaches. So clean. Everyone wears water shoes.
There are a few sandy beaches.

Some of our favourite places are Orebic (small seasidey town on a peninsula between Split and Dubrovnik, you can take a short fery over to beautiful Korcula town on island of same name), and Mljet (very quiet island with beautiful National Park covering the most northerly part - nice cycle ride around lakes).

Please
or

frick · 24/05/2021 21:22

Thanks so much for the great tips! I’m googling as we speak 😊

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?