Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Crete or Corfu

11 replies

Mammawilson · 23/05/2021 00:25

I'm looking for someone to make my mind up for me really.
Love history and the tourist spots, happy to drive around a bit (not for hours though) not too fussed about relaxing on a beach for hours or going to swimming places. Went to Rhodes in August last year and it was too hot for all of us but due to covid it wasn't busy which was great. I have 2 children who are a bit older now and also not a fan of the scorching heat. Will be all inclusive hopefully.
Does anyone have any favourite areas in Corfu or Crete? Has anyone been to both and can help.
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

CeeJay81 · 23/05/2021 07:56

I prefer Crete but you maybe prefer Corfu due to the heat. Crete gets very hot in Summer like Rhodes, so I'd go in May/June rather than August. Corfu is much further north, so not as hot. Crete I think is nicer though and more authentic with more history.

If Crete - western Crete is lovely. Chania or Rethymnon are beautifull. They both have lovely harbours and old towns with quaint streets. I'd personally stay away from Hersonissos/stalis/Malia as they are very much Brit tourist resorts for sports bars/nightlife etc. Unless that's your cup of tea. Corfu has many tourists resorts and is smaller. Corfu town is nice with many historical buildings, so id recommend a trip there. Anywhere outside of Kavos I think would be fine to stay in Corfu but look into both islands and see what you think. A lot of the family hotels are in sidari, which is like 2 hours from Corfu town. So depends how far you want to travel.

Have a look online at both islands and see what you think.

Please
or

mdh2020 · 23/05/2021 08:18

Much much prefer Crete. Chanda and Rethymnon are lovely and have good markets. The people are very friendly and you have all the history. You can visit Knossos or walk the Samara Gorge. I hope to go back next year.

Please
or

CeeJay81 · 23/05/2021 08:33

@mdh2020 totally agree. We are also planning to go back next year 😁

Please
or

user1471530109 · 23/05/2021 08:38

I love both islands. Corfu is by far the greenest! But if you like driving around or going by bus tour, the roads are pretty awful. Very windy and hilly. But I thought it was beautiful. I'd argue it's the 'prettiest'.
I love Crete too. I agree Crete is much hotter. I've been back multiple times so been all over Crete and it really is wonderful. I love Greece over all the med.
Not much help Grin

Please
or

Mammawilson · 23/05/2021 10:35

Thanks, we have found a hotel in Rethymnon in Crete that appears nice, slightly far from everywhere but we can rent a car and explore a bit

OP posts:
Please
or

AutumnLeafDance · 23/05/2021 10:58

If you want to hire a car and drive around Corfu is not island for you. We really struggled getting our tiny rental through the narrow, winding streets of some of the little towns. We both breathed a sigh of relief when we handed the car back unscathed. We ended up hiring a scooter and that was super fun to zip around on, but that was without children. Enjoy Crete!

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 25/05/2021 11:36

Corfu is beautiful and I could stare at the sea for hours ... BUT it's absolutely terrifying to drive around 😂

Please
or

Imapotato · 25/05/2021 13:44

I love Corfu, it’s my happy place. But if you want all inclusive and good day trips then you may be better off with Crete. Lots to see there. They’re both lovely tbh, but Corfu to me is just really special, I think it’s the people that make it that way. Crete is very hot in august, but has a lot less bugs. If you choose Corfu then you’ll def need some good insect repellent.

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 25/05/2021 20:07

God yes Imapotato 😂 the mozzies are mad ... I took antihistamine for about a month before I went last September, took Body Shop Oil (can't remember its name), bug spray and I still felt itchy while there. I love it, it's so beautiful and I can sit and stare at the sea for hours. I'm hoping to go back again this September for 4 nights (on my own) and plan to find a small little hotel this time. Last time I did an all inclusive and it was a bit soulless 🤔

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 25/05/2021 20:08

My best time is just walking around Corfu Town for hours 🥰

Please
or

purrswhileheeats · 31/05/2021 17:25

Thank you for this thread! I've booked to go to Corfu in September - the heat/mozzies won't bother me as I live in a much hotter country 🇨🇾 Grin I really fancy the day trip to Albania, has anyone done this?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?