Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flying to Portugal to go to Spain

7 replies

Hoppinggreen · 20/05/2021 20:08

So we own a property on the Spanish/Portuguese border (just into Spain).
We haven’t been for 2 years due to Covid and need to go to sort a few things out, not urgently but we would like to go - for example our power was cut off due to a bills mix up and we did sort it with help from a local friend but we need to sort wills and a few other things too.
We genuinely always fly into Portugal and cross the open border and having done so for 15 years now so this isn’t a ruse to avoid testing etc. I have checked and there are no checks on the border so we can cross freely.
I’m not sure we should do it, we could fly to Spain and do all the testing required but the flights are more expensive and less frequent, plus it’s further from the nearest Spanish airport to our house than from Faro and we couldn’t use the (cheap) car hire co we usually do.
Would it be ok to do this?

OP posts:
Please
or

mcCharthy · 20/05/2021 20:14

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 20/05/2021 20:18

Ooh, that was quick MNHQ
Wonder what it said?

OP posts:
Please
or

QuentininQuarantino · 20/05/2021 20:22

The Spain/Portugal border is open so it’s doable but I think you’re meant to tell Boris’ Borderforce if you’ve been in an amber place in the 10 days before your flight (Gibraltar would also make a good gateway otherwise!)

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 20/05/2021 20:32

So we tell them when we arrive back in The UK?
Should we test in Spain before we come home?
We can isolate for 10 days too

OP posts:
Please
or

loginfail · 21/05/2021 11:59

You are required to list Spain as a country visited in the last ten days (if that ends up being the case) on a Passenger Locator Form when you arrive back at the UK.

Full details are here:

www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

See section headed:

"Amber list countries and territories

What you must do if you have been in an amber country or territory in the 10 days before you arrive in England."......

Please
or

loginfail · 21/05/2021 12:05

SInce there's no edit function I'll mention that belatedly I just noted that website was last updated 17th May and seems to not quite reflect the state of play as it is on 21st. AFAIK travel to Spain is now allowed, the admin/PLF requirements in the website are correct.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 21/05/2021 14:58

Yes we would declare we had been to Spain
We haven’t decided whether to go yet, flights are quite cheap but not when you add on testing before we go and before we come back

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?