Balearic Islands mid-late August?
ToysEveryday · 10/05/2021 11:14
We have a holiday booked there in a quiet villa in Menorca. We've spent the pandemic in a high-rise city flat with no garden and are so desperate to go! We don't want to mix too much - just spend time in the garden / pool etc. Both of us will be fully vaccinated by the time we go in mid August.
Do you think it will be green? Do you think we should keep the holiday? It's with Jet 2 and they are keeping shtum about their policy in the light of the traffic light system but we need to pay rest of balance by early June...
Zodlebud · 10/05/2021 11:45
Nobody knows. Wait and see. It’s still several weeks off before you need to pay final balance.
I have a trip booked to Asia at the start of July which I am 99.9% sure won’t be happening as 1) I don’t think the borders will be open and 2) we will only have had once dose of the vaccine and the mutterings coming out of the countries we are supposed to be visiting are they will only be accepting fully vaccinated travellers.
My final balance is due today and they are asking me to pay it. Money is guaranteed to be returned if the trip is cancelled so I’m not worried, but it just highlights exactly how little people know about what’s going on.
I get the not knowing. We also had a shocker of a year last year and are desperate to get away but are being realistic.
ToysEveryday · 10/05/2021 13:22
Thanks. Yes I don't want to lose the money but part of me thinks menorca might be green by then.
chocolatesaltyballs22 · 10/05/2021 13:26
Jet2 are in some cases allowing you to move out your balance due date. We are due to go early July and I don't have to pay the final balance til 21st May. You could always ask them if you can delay it - saves them refunding if they have to cancel the holiday.
Zodlebud · 10/05/2021 14:46
The next review will be announced on 28th May and my agents are going to let me know then whether or not my trip has been cancelled. It’s all a bit arse about face. I had cancelled five nights accommodation I had booked directly with a hotel and told the agent that he would need to find me five nights replacement if we ended up going. He laughed and said it won’t be necessary.
Asia is a totally different kettle of fish though.
In Europe they will be looking at who each country is letting in as well as the Brits. If they are allowing anyone in (like Turkey was saying) then I doubt the government will be happy moving it off the Amber list and May move it to red.
BarbaraofSeville · 11/05/2021 07:48
Jet2 have been great throughout the pandemic so you won't lose your money.
If the holiday doesn't go ahead, you'll almost be able to get a refund or rebook for next year.
But they do it in stages and are giving people plenty of notice. For example a few weeks ago, they cancelled all their holidays until late June.
They'll probably now look at later holidays in line with the three week reviews and make decisions about any amber or red list holidays as the lists get updated.
We've booked a city break in late August to another European country that's currently amber as we had a cancellation voucher from last year from another airline that was about to expire. I have no idea whether it will go ahead (we will both be fully vaccinated well before then) but if it doesn't, we'll be able to move or cancel the flights and the hotel is refundable until the day before.
BarbaraofSeville · 11/05/2021 07:50
On the matter of Menorca specifically, in your favour is that Spain will move heaven and earth to allow tourists in and the islands have usually been lower risk/fewer restrictions than mainland Spain.
You just have to hope everything goes well in the UK and there over the next couple of months, so you can enjoy your holiday.
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.