Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lake Bled in December

2 replies

BulbasaurusRex · 05/05/2021 13:48

We are potentially going to Slovenia at the end of December (obviously depending on how everything is with Covid!) and staying near Lake Bled. Does anyone have any tips of the best things to do/see at that time of year?

We were meant to go in the summer of 2020, so we'd planned a lot for warm weather but are starting from scratch now.

Also what will it be like to drive around at that time of year? I understand there will be snow but that the roads are kept quite clear? DH normally drives abroad but he has a few points on his license at the moment so it might need to be me doing it. If we didn't hire a car is it easy to get around to stuff using taxis or buses? We'll be flying into Ljubljana.

TIA!

OP posts:
Please
or

Zodlebud · 05/05/2021 14:27

Everything in Slovenia is close together and an easy drive. There are ski resorts in the north on the border with Italy so they are used to snow and roads will be clear. The airport is just north of Ljubljana so you are straight on the motorway after landing. Some of the mountain pass roads will be shut but if you just intend going to Bled then it won’t be an issue.

We visited in the summer of 2019 and stayed at Vila Bled. Amazing place. I’m not sure how much there will be to do in Winter though as we did a lot of outdoorsy stuff. Lots of pavement cafes and walking. We rowed over to the church in the middle of the lake. Sat and watched the Festival of Light that happens in July each year, went to some lakeside concerts and visited the castle. We actually had a fabulous meal in the restaurant at the castle. If you book and eat up there then you get free entrance to the castle.

To be honest we also visited Ljubljana, Lake Jasna, Postojna Caves, Predjama Castle and Kranskja Gora (sp?) too and we were blown away by the scenery. Not sure it would have the same impact in winter. It was a fabulous fabulous trip - Slovenia should be on everyone’s radar.

Please
or

BulbasaurusRex · 06/05/2021 22:34

Thank you! Yes we’d planned to do the boats and lots of walking when we were originally going in the summer. I’m hoping it’ll feel lovely and festive and we can do lots of walking then cosy up indoors.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?