Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Isle of Wight Caravan Park Recommendations

21 replies

supermario10 · 16/04/2021 16:48

Looking for a park in a decent location with an OUTDOOR pool (indoor too would be great incase of bad weather!)

Looked at Nodes but no outdoor pool! Looked at lower Hyde outdoor pool but location doesn't seem as good! Any help greatly appreciated xx

OP posts:
Please
or

MyBalletShoes · 16/04/2021 16:53

Appuldurcombe Gardens Holiday Park. Been twice. Great location and has an outdoor pool though be warned - it's freezing!

Please
or

thenewduchessofhastings · 16/04/2021 16:59

We love Nodes point.Fabulous spot.Easy walk down to a lovely beach.There is a nice cafe and public loos down on the beach which is a huge bonus.

Last time we went we stayed in a lodge with a outdoor hot tub.

Please
or

BlueLobelia · 16/04/2021 17:02

Whitecliff bay. Also a beautiful beach, and they do outdoor cinema. We hope to go back this year.

www.awayresorts.co.uk/whitecliff-bay/

Please
or

supermario10 · 16/04/2021 18:00

Haha @myballeymyshoes10 maybe I should have said heated outdoor pool!!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

MyBalletShoes · 16/04/2021 18:13

It's advertised as being heated! Perhaps it's just not heated to a temperature I'd like! But it is a lovely site Smile

Please
or

supermario10 · 16/04/2021 18:14

There's seem to be so many holiday parks! I've never been to Isle of Wight before so don't know where to start x

OP posts:
Please
or

BigButtons · 16/04/2021 18:21

@BlueLobelia I found Whitecliff bay really shabby and run down. Mind you that was a while back, maybe it's improved?

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 16/04/2021 18:37

If you like cycling and want a good base from which to explore, then I’d go for The Lakes, Rookley. It’s really close to Godshill village which is definitely worth visiting. If you like cycling, the popular Sunshine Trail is on your doorstep.
If you want a beach location, I’d go for Landguard. It’s on the outskirts of Shanklin (although you’d still have to drive to the beach) and also close to Sandown.

Please
or

BlueLobelia · 16/04/2021 19:06

[quote BigButtons]**@BlueLobelia* I found Whitecliff bay really* shabby and run down. Mind you that was a while back, maybe it's improved?[/quote]
Oh i hope so. We last went in 2018. Bits were shabby, but generally we really liked it.

Please
or

supermario10 · 16/04/2021 19:16

Really like the look of Whitecliff bay....seems to tick all the boxes! But that's from the pics and website!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Zodlebud · 16/04/2021 23:02

Another vote for Whitecliff Bay. They have put a lot of money into it recently. The club looks shabby from the outside but has been tarted up inside. The bar / restaurant was redone a couple of years ago and is really nice.

The TriBeCa and Rock Star lodges are FABULOUS!!!

Please
or

supermario10 · 17/04/2021 07:59

Ahh thats so good to hear thanks- I think I'm gonna book it today 😊xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Besom · 17/04/2021 08:03

Appledurcombe is lovely
Never went in the pool though. We had a lovely holiday on the IOW I'm jealous.

Please
or

Ilovewillow · 17/04/2021 08:16

White cliff Bay although disclaimer we went in 2013.

Please
or

BigButtons · 17/04/2021 18:24

I hope it has improved. It was like a run down Butlins when I was there. The hover in our chalet was literally from the 60’s. The clientele were a bit on the lively side too.

Please
or

Nitgel · 17/04/2021 18:27

We have stayed at Rookley park couple of times but a few years back. It was lovely. Central so you would need a car but a nice park imo. Had a small outdoor pool and big lake for fishing. Good entertainment. Was a while back tho.

Please
or

supermario10 · 18/04/2021 08:48

Oh dear @bigbuttons when did you go!

OP posts:
Please
or

BigButtons · 18/04/2021 09:03

@supermario10

Oh dear *@bigbuttons* when did you go!

Quite a few years back it must be said. Actually went twice. Our chalet was broken into during the second time.😲 I am sure they have improved things though.
Please
or

BlueLobelia · 18/04/2021 10:10

I also want to ask exactly when. I know that Whitecliff bay have put a huge amount of investment into it recently. I said upthread we last went in 2018 but actually I went back through my photos and it was 2019, in early July. The indoor pool needed some work (which they were doing at the time... it has a soft play in the same complex). The outdoor pool and the restaurant bar was lovely.... the food was a little hit or miss. Hamburgers good. A seafood pasta was great, Hotdog and fries- not so much. But for me the real winner is the beach. It's a gorgeous proper sand beach.

I liked it alot. It's not as slick (or hopefully as expensive, though who knows in the midern covid holiday era!) as centre parcs and I have never been to Butlins, but I liked the accommodation (we did the chalets with hot tub) and the outdoor play area was a huge hit.

Please
or

supermario10 · 18/04/2021 11:14

Thanks @bluelobelia I think I'm going to go for it! As long as the caravan (that's what we will book) is clean and comfortable I'm not too worried about the rest when you are so close to a lovely beach! Sometimes you can get bogged down by lots of choice xx

OP posts:
Please
or

BellaNutella88 · 25/04/2021 11:13

I went to Whitecliff Bay in September. It was a postponed Sun holiday which we upgraded. We had a luxury caravan with a hot tub which was really nice. We really liked it, nice indoor pool. We didn’t use the outdoor one (it might have been shut at the time), activities, open cinema and the restaurant was nice. The only thing that would stop me going back there was the beach is down a very steep hill which with a pram and small child was a nightmare. Otherwise I’d absolutely stay there again. I think some of the accommodation is quite dated but that’s what they use for the Sun holidays unless upgraded. Enjoy !

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?