Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel in Europe ideas as single mother great for 16 and 11 year olds

10 replies

lilnisi · 09/04/2021 11:44

Hi guys,

I am new here. There is no rush going on holiday but after lockdown or 2022, I would like to take a break from single parenting and taking my 16 and 11 year olds on holiday. The 16 year old like beach holidays, preferably somewhere in Europe like Italy, Spain or Portugal and it will be cheap/budget. Any ideas on anywhere where there are activities for teenagers and pre teen as a single mother? My 11 year old like culture, at the same time there has to be family activities.

I have to rent a car cos my 11 year old is not good with public transport.

Thanks in advanced

Allysa

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 09/04/2021 13:26

Union Lido in Italy has direct beach access. It’s a five star ‘campsite’ close to Venice, but we’ve only ever stayed in an apartment and a lodge as opposed to a tent!
Accommodation is self catered and there’s an on site grocery shop, but there are also several cafes, restaurants and take always so you wouldn’t have to cook every night.
There are loads of activities, including horse riding, archery, pedalos, crazy golf and bike hire. There’s even a spa. You get entry to two aqua parks included in the cost of your stay. The Laguna one is definitely aimed at teens.
There are a few guided excursions available. We went on the short kayak tour which was amazing www.unionlido.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Union-Lido-escursione-Short-Tour-Kayak-Experience-Laguniamo.pdf and it wouldn’t necessarily involve public transport because you could drive to the starting location in your hired car.

Please
or

peak2021 · 10/04/2021 11:29

I'd suggest Antibes or Nice, probably Antibes more for the cultural opportunities. There is a choice of flights to Nice airport. Two large waterpark type places nearby if I recall correctly.

I think you need to tackle the issues your 11 year old has with public transport, so it does not become restrictive or costly.

Please
or

Hellocatshome · 10/04/2021 11:33

For beach and culture you can't go wrong with Barcelona

Please
or

moochingtothepub · 10/04/2021 11:42

West coast of France gite or mobile home - many sites have teen activities and well as kids clubs. I recommend the vendee for a balance between temperature and travel time, Brittany is cooler but lovely. Surfing is good on west coast too

Please
or

moochingtothepub · 10/04/2021 11:44

Should say we always drove via Portsmouth to Caen ferry

Please
or

Pupster21 · 10/04/2021 11:47

Lagos I’m Portugal. It’s an old walled fort city with lovely beaches. Good surfing, drivable to moorish castles. Good food with a backpacker vibe to the city.

Please
or

Pupster21 · 10/04/2021 11:47

In not I’m

Please
or

EileenGC · 10/04/2021 11:50

Second Barcelona, and highly recommend Valencia for lots of activities. If you hire a car you can drive up and down the coast and even take a day trip to Alicante. Lots of medieval towns, castles, but also modern science museums, theme parks, aquarium (caters well for teens), lovely sights and the beaches are good especially if you go to smaller ones outside the city.

Otherwise Naples and Pompeii is great too. You could combine it with Rome or another city in the south of Italy.

Please
or

TheCatsPjammas · 10/04/2021 11:52

Slovenia, it has everything, coastline, alpine scenery, hiking, white water rafting, lake Bled, great caves, castles and capital city is v pretty. Loads of activities. Went with 2 teenagers and they loved it. Plus people v friendly. V easy to get around, compact country with loads to see and go!

Please
or

Zodlebud · 10/04/2021 12:12

We also had a fabulous holiday in Slovenia. Would recommend.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?