Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Advice

3 replies

alexis4theppl · 25/03/2021 10:18

I have a hotel booked in Dubai for 12th April with on the beach. With current travel advice we can't get there now (no flights booked..hotel only).
I don't have travel insurance and will need to cancel the hotel booking as they are due the balance by 29th March.
Question: I have paid a £40 deposit and they will charge a further £110 to cancel. Have I lost this money or is there any other way to claim this back? Unable to speak with a person by phone at the company.

OP posts:
Please
or

userxx · 25/03/2021 22:38

I think the cancellation charge that is stated refers to normal situations not covid. From Monday you can't go abroad without a reasonable excuse so I don't see how the cancellation charge can stand. Try emailing them through your online account, they respond quite quickly.

Please
or

alexis4theppl · 26/03/2021 00:51

Thanks for your reply. I managed to speak with them eventually. As a gesture of goodwill they agreed not to charge the additional £110 canx charge but I was charged £10 pp which id paid already as a deposit. As was hotel only there is no ATOL protection.
Happy to take the £40 loss

OP posts:
Please
or

userxx · 26/03/2021 07:51

I'm booked with On The Beach and the cancellation charges are £30 pp, I'll be cancelling too if they don't!! Glad you've got it sorted.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?