Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Destinations without many mosquitoes!

9 replies

BendingSpoons · 08/03/2021 14:01

Our last two trips abroad have been to Menorca. It's a great destination for young children, but ideally I would like to go somewhere different next time. However one of the things I liked about Menorca was that we didn't get eaten alive by mosquitoes, presumably due to the breeze and lack of lakes etc. Where else is similar? I have been to other islands e.g. Sicily and been bitten lots. We would be going in school holidays, so most likely next August.

OP posts:
Please
or

Merlotta · 08/03/2021 14:08

Iceland. See: icelandmag.is/article/reason-non-existence-mosquitoes-iceland
In fact this was recently discussed on an episode of No Such Thing as a Fish.

I realise it's probably not the climate you're looking for, but there will definitely be no mosquitoes. Lovely weather in the summer. There can be a LOT of midges around the lakes though.

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 08/03/2021 14:25

That's really interesting thank you. I do like the sound of Iceland. I love lying on the beach for a week but DH isn't a fan of the heat (or mosquitoes Grin ) so would be particularly keen! Will have to look up No Such Thing as Fish.

OP posts:
Please
or

waltzingparrot · 08/03/2021 14:28

No mosquitoes in Madeira in August. I asked because I'm allergic to them

Please
or

thenightsky · 08/03/2021 14:31

I love Madeira. The lack of mozzies is a bonus too.
I was going to say Egypt, but I've seen you are looking at August dates, so the heat would be unbearable.

Please
or

DavidsSchitt · 08/03/2021 14:32

The canaries

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 08/03/2021 16:04

The Canaries and Madeira sound like good options to look in to. I have been to Funchal before but would be good to explore further away.

That's interesting about Egypt. It doesn't have to be August, other school holidays might work. DD is in Reception, so we are newly tied to school holiday dates. Previously we tended to go in June or Sept outside the peak heat (and cost!)

OP posts:
Please
or

1sunnyday23 · 10/03/2021 10:44

@thenightsky

I love Madeira. The lack of mozzies is a bonus too.
I was going to say Egypt, but I've seen you are looking at August dates, so the heat would be unbearable.

We went to Egypt in august and it was fantastic, lovely breeze and Not a single bite and I react really really badly to mosquitoes
Please
or

notveryhappyhere · 11/03/2021 01:03

Cyclades Greek islands in the summer. Windy! There were a few in Santorini but none elsewhere

Please
or

CoolShoeshine · 16/03/2021 20:15

The alps - stunning in summer and not too humid

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?