Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sardinia

10 replies

Applejack87 · 07/03/2021 16:52

Hi we’re thinking about Sardinia for a holiday we’ve never been before
Has anyone any recommendations of which area to stay in with a 15 year old girl
We enjoy being near a beach , restaurants & shops

OP posts:
Please
or

MinnieMountain · 08/03/2021 07:05

Alghero is lovely. It has a pretty old town and a big sandy beach. There’s a regular bus from the airport if you don’t want to drive.

Please
or

SidLowe · 08/03/2021 08:10

I agree with @MinnieMountain ! Love Alghero.

Please
or

massistar · 11/03/2021 11:31

San Teodoro is gorgeous.

Please
or

MirandaMarple · 15/03/2021 21:10

I really enjoyed the North West Coast, rugged, peaceful, authentic. I did visit the Costa Smerelda on the East Coast and it was lovely but some parts a bit ostentatious.

Please
or

GoddessKali · 15/03/2021 21:14

Do not go to the South!! It was the worst holiday I’ve ever been on, and I holiday / travel a lot!

Please
or

MirandaMarple · 16/03/2021 07:51

@GoddessKali

Do not go to the South!! It was the worst holiday I’ve ever been on, and I holiday / travel a lot!

Why was it so bad?
Please
or

GoddessKali · 16/03/2021 08:08

We stayed near Cagliari.
Huge concrete buildings, lots of ugly graffiti and abandoned buildings.
Over expensive and really shit hotel.
The locals seems to hate tourists, especially Brits.
Beaches absolutely heaving.
Food very meh and again over priced - that’s when we could actually get a booking and were lucky enough for the staff to acknowledge us!

Every time we heard of something nice or good it was up North!

I’ve been to Italy 10+ times, always loved the place, the food, the people..... Sardinia had none of this. We were made to feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome there.

Please
or

MirandaMarple · 16/03/2021 08:42

@GoddessKali

We stayed near Cagliari.
Huge concrete buildings, lots of ugly graffiti and abandoned buildings.
Over expensive and really shit hotel.
The locals seems to hate tourists, especially Brits.
Beaches absolutely heaving.
Food very meh and again over priced - that’s when we could actually get a booking and were lucky enough for the staff to acknowledge us!

Every time we heard of something nice or good it was up North!

I’ve been to Italy 10+ times, always loved the place, the food, the people..... Sardinia had none of this. We were made to feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome there.

That's disappointing. I've never had a bad time in Italy, so I was surprised to read this.
Please
or

2catsand2kids · 16/03/2021 14:36

We travelled all around Sardinia many years ago and we absolutely loved it. I would definitely recommend Alghero, I also really enjoyed the North East and we stayed in a place called Cala Gonone on the east coast which was stunning. I also enjoyed the South but felt the North and East were more beautiful. In fact thinking about that holiday is making me want to go back!

Please
or

sansou · 03/04/2021 10:56

We’ve stayed at Chia Laguna twice when our DC were young primary age. Absolutely beautiful white Sandy beaches - the best I’ve seen in Europe.
Exclusive beachfront and also at May half term so definitely not crowded so maybe not for vital exam age DC. Summer will inevitably be more crowded and more expensive everywhere in Europe.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?