Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Corfu Sept-Oct 2021

5 replies

Khtchkn · 16/02/2021 15:34

We booked a holiday last year for a holiday at the end of September 2021 for 10 days with my husband and 2 year old. We are staying at a lovely hotel booked with tui, has anyone been before to Corfu? Any recommendations for things to do and clear quiet beaches? Hoping by the end of sept/beginning of Oct we’ll be allowed to travel.

OP posts:
Please
or

Funf · 17/02/2021 06:40

Just check the weather it can be wet in September.
Old town is nice plenty of boat trips going on the usual stuff.
The Cruise Critic website can be useful as it has things to do just find the nearest cruise port and search on that

Please
or

Crazycatlady83 · 17/02/2021 19:36

We have been to Corfu in September three times - weather was good and we didn’t have any problems (apart from the most amazing thunder storm I have ever seen one night - which was great watching on the balcony!)

We just hired a car, and went exploring! Get a 4x4 cos it’s very mountainous in areas! We found loads of little beaches just driving about - Ionio Pelagos and the beach at Meliteieoi were beautiful and empty when we went! Old Perithia is quite an interesting little ruined town if you are in the area or fancy an explore (but not sure how successful it would be with a 2 year old!) We had the best walnut cake I have ever tasted in a little taverna there!!

One word of warning - the maps in Corfu are rubbish and the sat nav on phones weren’t always reliable and lose signal! We got lost a few times but it was a bit of an adventure!

Goodness I miss normal life and wonderful holidays - I hope you get your holiday!!

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 19/02/2021 20:50

It's a prime mosquito time because Its the start of the rainy season so I'd be aware of it and do antihistamines for at least 3 weeks before you visit. That said it doesn't rain rain all day just in short bursts and stock up on Avon Skin So Soft SPray which is great for mosquitoes... I used it last year in Corfu similar time and it really helped

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 19/02/2021 21:26

We went the third week in September two years running. We stayed in Arillas (in the North West of the island) which is a low key resort with loads of lovely tavernas.

We had good weather the first time we went - temperatures between 24 and 27 degrees, with one stormy day. The second time we went we had more rain, and temperatures were low 20s. Corfu is greener than most of the Greek islands because it does get more rain, so take some rain wear.

September is prime mosquito season, and wasp season.

BTW Skin So Soft only works if you are mildly attractive to mosquitos. DH is a mosquito magnet and uses Jungle Formula because non just DEET products don't work for him.

Please
or

Khtchkn · 20/02/2021 11:20

Thanks all! We chose September as prices are very expensive in June - Aug. Hoping sept weather will still be nice, rain doesn’t really affect us, we will be mostly chilling at our hotel but still want to do days out to explore! I’d love to see ask epic thunderstorm that some people say Smile thanks for the recommendation for the bug spray, will look into it!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?