Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is a child's passport valid at 16 if still within 5 years of renewal?

7 replies

Waverless · 06/02/2021 13:21

Cannot find the information anywhere!

Child's passports valid for 5 years. Say they get renewal at 13, 5 years takes them to 18, but do they need to move to an adult one at 16?

I'm assuming not, but would like to see it in b&w!

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

EdithWeston · 06/02/2021 13:24

They remain valid until expiry, even if child turns 18 during validity.

I can't point you to written policy, but my DC have travelled without any difficulty age 18+ on a 5 year validity passport

Please
or

Berthatydfil · 06/02/2021 13:26

If I’m understanding you correctly - This happened to one of my children - the child’s passport expiry date went beyond their birthday when they would have got an adults passport.
When it expired they just got an adults passport.

Please
or

LIZS · 06/02/2021 13:27

Yes, until time for renewal as an adult.

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 06/02/2021 13:29

The reason a child's one lasts 5 years is because they change more so become unrecognisable. You can use it until expiry. Otherwise it would be very annoying when your 15yo needed a renewal!

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 06/02/2021 13:30

This happened to me.. I had a 'child' passport until I was 20. Had no problem traveling all over the world with it.

I think (no evidence to back it up) it's due more to children changing in appearance more than a type of passport. My daughter's passport looked ridiculous enough at 5yo with a baby photo, let alone 10 if she had a ten year one.

Please
or

mumonthehill · 06/02/2021 13:31

Yep here ds 20 has just got his first adult 10yr passport as his had his last renewal of his child’s one when he was 15.

Please
or

Waverless · 06/02/2021 13:46

Thank you all!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?