Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Just moved to Dubai and in need of practical advice

3 replies

SleeplessInDubai · 27/01/2021 07:39

Hello,

I recently moved to Dubai from the UK and would really appreciate some practical advice from people living here.

• I intend to stay about 6 months or less and am wondering which is better: buying a car or renting one. If the latter, could you please recommend any company for safe/ affordable cars. Could anyone give me some price tags? Apart from driving, I don't know much about cars and am worried that I might be taken for a ride, hence my need for a good reputable company.

• Could anyone please recommend any affordable shopping options in here? Which supermarkets, malls, etc. offer the best options quality-price wise?

• What is the local equivalents of shops like Holland and Barret and Boots and which also offer good products for reasonable prices. I have visited one store which offers a good range of supplements/ vitamins, etc. but with eye watering prices.

• Finally, what can be done only in Dubai? which products are cheaper here than in the UK? as I have only a few months in here, what do you recommend doing that is worth my time and (some) money.

Any other advice regarding living (temporarily) in Dubai will be appreciated.

Thanks!
OP posts:
Please
or

SleeplessInDubai · 28/01/2021 04:55

Anyone please? Sad

OP posts:
Please
or

jellyfrizz · 30/01/2021 12:54

Try reading expatwoman.com or Living Overseas in Homes & Garden here on mumsnet, there are quite a few people living in Dubai.

Carrefour was probably best for shopping but depends what is handy for you. As with anywhere, if you only want to buy imported products things will be more expensive so you might have to substitute brands you are used to.
There are Boots & Holland & Barrett stores in Dubai.

Please
or

SleeplessInDubai · 31/01/2021 07:37

Thanks a lot @jellyfrizz, will do!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?