Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Would you book a holiday to Spain in the May half term?

28 replies

Spaceman1 · 02/01/2021 08:30

Just trying to work out my holidays for the year. It would be lovely to go away with the family for a week in the May half term holiday but not sure if we'll be allowed to go then.

OP posts:
Please
or

EnglishGirlApproximately · 02/01/2021 08:33

I've mulled on this but decided to look at October instead. I work in the travel industry and my company buys in flights to add to our product, at the moment we're far from convinced that May will be anything approaching normal. We're expecting some degree of business by then but are contingency planning as its far from certain.

Please
or

CompleteBarstool · 02/01/2021 08:40

Having had the stress early this summer of not knowing whether our booked holiday would go ahead, not knowing if we would have to self-isolate if it did, not knowing if we'd get our money back if we decided that we weren't comfortable about going and desperately wanting the flights to he cancelled so we could get a refund I wouldn't book anything.

If things are massively improved by the summer/October half term I would consider booking something last minute when you would know about which countries are safest etc

Please
or

Spaceman1 · 03/01/2021 09:38

Thanks, you're right, it's probably best to wait and see how things play out, still far from normal just yet. Normally I book the holiday in January but not this year.

OP posts:
Please
or

SJaneS49 · 09/01/2021 13:19

I agree! Hopefully things will have improved by then once the vaccination programme is well underway but I’d leave it for now. We have booked (but for August) which seemed probably feasible when we did it but this year has started off on a back foot so less confident now.

Please
or

KitKat1985 · 09/01/2021 13:21

I probably wouldn't. I'd probably risk it for the summer with a company with some sort of covid guarantee, but I think May be a bit optimistic.

Please
or

SirVixofVixHall · 09/01/2021 13:22

No. I would not book a holiday anywhere until the Summer, and even that might be risky.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 09/01/2021 13:24

I wouldn’t book but my may half term hols from last year is currently scheduled for may this year. When we rebooked (July I think) I was convinced it would be fine. 50/50 at best I reckon

Please
or

ZombiePara · 09/01/2021 13:25

We are booked to Spain(/one of the islands, I cant remember) for May....

But only because it's a rebooking from a cancelled one last year - we could pick a new destination, or lose the money.

I'm not convinced we will be allowed to go, but I can't do a lot about it now!

Please
or

middleager · 09/01/2021 13:28

No. I don't book anything in advance anymore, especially a holiday.

Please
or

LongIslandIcedT · 09/01/2021 13:32

I wouldn't. I'd consider 2022 at the earliest but wouldn't book anything given how precarious the travel industry is at the moment.

Please
or

passthemustard · 09/01/2021 13:38

I have booked Spain for May half term! Booked when I thought things were looking up last year. Fingers crossed we can go but we will be able to change it if we can't.

Please
or

Khtchkn · 18/01/2021 00:04

We have booked to go Greece in May. We did a package holiday with tui so If it gets cancelled we’re allowed to change our holiday free of charge or get a refund. Looking to go in September if it gets cancelled in May! June-august prices are double!!!

Please
or

LizFlowers · 18/01/2021 00:42

No, I wouldn't book anything at the moment, no matter how far in advance.

Please
or

Silkiechickscat · 18/01/2021 01:56

No think its too risky at the moment and everything can change so quickly. We are likely to either stick with UK again and summer as safest bet or wait until last minute and book - we'll probably wait until late on anyway as we won't all be vaccinated by summer and rules change all the time. I thought packages may be safer and probably are but even then in the small print there was no allowance for changes in last 3 weeks. So current thinking is UK for summer 2021 and hopefully abroad summer 2022 but its watch and wait atm.

Please
or

GADDay · 18/01/2021 02:17

No

Please
or

IdblowJonSnow · 18/01/2021 02:27

No. We've booked something in the uk and will get our cash back if it can't go ahead.

Please
or

EmmaGrundyForPM · 18/01/2021 02:30

I'm.not locked into school holidays but we have just made the decision to cancel the holiday we have booked to Italy in June.

Even if we have been vaccinated by then (highly unlikely), Italy is not vaccinating at the same rate and there is a risk that they will have restrictions in place. It won't be much of a holiday if all the bars, restaurants etc are shut or there is a curfew in place.

So no, I wouldn't.

Please
or

Pipandmum · 18/01/2021 02:34

No. I'm hoping to go in July but still not booking for a while yet. I believe you need a negative covid test within 72 hours of travel which might be tricky (to organise i mean).

Please
or

2020canfuckitself · 18/01/2021 02:38

Wait until next year. Holiday in this country just to be safe, it'll also help our economy

Please
or

HerNameIsIncontinentiaButtocks · 18/01/2021 02:42

I've got a booking in April for a seaside bnb, but it's one that was deferred from New Years, that was deferred from October... it'll probably get deferred again.

Pick something you can rebook without penalty, is what I'm saying.

Please
or

donewithitalltodayandxmas · 18/01/2021 03:23

We had holiday booked for june this year and have just paid to have it moved to next year

Please
or

MissCalamity · 29/01/2021 21:39

We've got our rescheduled holiday from last May half term for this May half term (2nd June)
I'm not holding out much hope, wondering how it will be a holiday with potential quarantine?
We did look into moving it to August 2022, but it would cost £40 each to move it (with Jet2) so it's just a case of waiting...

Please
or

Zogstart · 29/01/2021 21:44

We’ve got France booked for this May half term, having moved it from last half term. I’m happy waiting it out tbh and will be able to cancel last minute with the company if the borders are still not open.

Please
or

Katjolo · 29/01/2021 22:06

No.

Please
or

Spaceman1 · 31/01/2021 12:47

So I was planning Marbella for May half term, I might do Tenerife for Autumn half term instead, surely we'll be able to go away then? 😏

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?