Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Long haul with babies to Asia

8 replies

Nesski · 05/12/2020 08:10

Hello!

I am looking to fly to Hong Kong from the UK with a 6 month old baby later on next year (hopefully post covid) and was hoping for airline reviews on what worked best? There will be two of us and it's all been very confusing around whether bassinets will be provided, we aren't thinking of purchasing another seat therefore being able to bring a car seat but November is a cheap month, so for an extra £400 we might just do it!

OP posts:
Please
or

OllietheOwl · 18/12/2020 12:31

All airlines provide a bassinet or car-seat style bed for babies under 2. You will be allocated a seat at the front of the cabin (which is great, extra leg room!) and the bassinet/seat attaches onto a drop-down table in front of you.
We’ve flown on BA and Emirates and both were fine. Most people are lowly when you’re flying with a baby (not all, one lady asked to be moved when she realised she was on a 10hr flight next to us and DD Grin).

Please
or

OllietheOwl · 18/12/2020 12:37

*lovely

Please
or

Mylittlepony374 · 18/12/2020 12:43

Flown long haul a lot with babies/toddlers and Emirates were always the best. Not sure if they fly uk to HK though? If not, Air New Zealand definitely do and they're very good also. At 6 months you don't need another seat for them, pre book a bassinet seat (ring airline to book). Take some kind of baby paracetamol/ teething gels- I got caught without with a teething 7 month old once and it was hell. I kept them in sleepsuits for travel at that age. Pack more of them than you think you need because they always poo/vomit/spill on them more than they do at home for some reason. It's actually much easier at 6 months than when they're crawling/. Walking so you will be fine.

Please
or

JanewaysBun · 18/12/2020 12:53

Not all airlins guarentee this no, although I've been given a free spare seat instead of a bassinet once which was better.

I think bassinets are outgrown at 7 months imo so it night not be good if baby is sitting etc as they're not big. BA have an alternative thing which is really good let me find a pic

Please
or

JanewaysBun · 18/12/2020 12:56

This thing. Not sure of minimum age

Long haul with babies to Asia
Please
or

Nesski · 21/12/2020 21:26

@OllietheOwl I'd be ecstatic that they've moved to be honest! More space and less eye-rolling for the flight Grin

@Mylittlepony374 good shout will consider this when flying!

@JanewaysBun I think it's a screenshot you've attached, at least on my mobile, will have a looksy.

Basically, husband does not want to travel anywhere at all before the baby is 1 years old, still working on convincing him it'll all be fine Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

Letsleepingdogslie8 · 26/12/2020 23:41

We took DS1 to Hong Kong when he was 15 months and he had one of the seats on a BA flight that @JanewaysBun linked. It was in the bulkhead which was awesome.

Not sure if you’ve been to HK before, but it’s not that buggy friendly so a sling is the way to go. Also they don’t really do car seats for children so be prepared to use MTR all the time if you’re not comfortable with DC not being strapped in safely.

Please
or

GrumpyHoonMain · 26/12/2020 23:45

@Nesski

Hello!

I am looking to fly to Hong Kong from the UK with a 6 month old baby later on next year (hopefully post covid) and was hoping for airline reviews on what worked best? There will be two of us and it's all been very confusing around whether bassinets will be provided, we aren't thinking of purchasing another seat therefore being able to bring a car seat but November is a cheap month, so for an extra £400 we might just do it!

As your baby is 6 months old know that you won’t be prioritised for a bassinet if there are other babies around. Babies between 0-6 months are prioritised with the youngest babies who can’t sit often winning them if short supply. I suggest you bring a baby carrier as it’s easier to maneover in airports and HK than a pushchair. Bring your own carseat too (with isofix) because local ones are shit - you can hire cars for the whole day at most hotels fairly cheaply and drivers will be supportive of keeping the carseat in.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?