Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

french ferry crossings

6 replies

helenmh · 24/09/2002 14:06

We are in the process of looking at gites in normandy for next summer. I am keen to have a go at booking them independently. My question is what is the cheapest way of booking ferry crossings? Should we ring the companies eg P& O themselves or are there any discounted ways.
thanks
helen

OP posts:
Please
or

Azzie · 24/09/2002 14:10

I did it all over the Internet for our last holiday in France. Where do you want to sail to? Are you dead set on the ferry, or are you considering the Chunnel too?

Please
or

emsiewill · 24/09/2002 14:11

We went to a gite in Normandy this year. My step-mum did all the booking, but I believe we got a discount by going through the company that we booked the gite with. We sailed Newhaven - Dieppe by the way, which I found a good route, although as it was one of those super catamaran things, it didn't have the facilities of one of the super-dooper Dover-Calais ferries.

Please
or

Enid · 24/09/2002 14:53

If you book through French Life you get free crossings from some destinations.

Please
or

helenmh · 24/09/2002 14:54

We are happy to use the chunnel too. We are very flexible. i am considering contacting the gite owners direct and not using a company at all. We have a good guide book by alastair Sawday which someone recommended. Thanks
helen

OP posts:
Please
or

GillW · 24/09/2002 15:24

Definately look around - the companiew will probably quote yuou list price, and you should always be able to beat that - try Ferryoffers.co.uk or search for "cheap ferry uk" on google and you'll have a good starting point.

Please
or

helenmh · 25/09/2002 12:13

Thanks for that site . I have succeeded in booking one week in a normandy gite with my limited night school french( 14kms from cherbourg) so we are now looking for somewhere for the other week as they only had one week available in the school hols . Cheers
helen

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?