Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Pefkos or Rhodes town?

19 replies

autumnredhead · 09/09/2020 21:46

Which is better? Myself and DD,11. I like somewhere with restaurants, shops and bars close by, but still tasteful.

OP posts:
Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 09/09/2020 21:51

Lindos! Up the road from Pefkos, has all those things, and perfect for a slightly older child (for littlies I go for Pefkos and it's less hilly and more accessible).

Old Rhodes Town is stunning, but if you want beaches there are better options.

Please
or

autumnredhead · 10/09/2020 04:42

@GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal -oooh thank you! I will take a look at Lindos!

OP posts:
Please
or

JanewaysBun · 28/09/2020 15:19

Defo lindos
I would never stay in Rhodes town
The old town is nice but the rest is a big town with an average beach

Please
or

Bec1710 · 28/09/2020 15:30

Definitely Lindos (I am biased I got married there Smile.) It as lots of nice restaurants/cafes and shops. I definitely recommend trying one of the beach front restaurants especially in the evening as the atmosphere is amazing.

I have stayed in pefkos twice too but definitely prefer Lindos for eating out (especially if you are self catering).

Please
or

autumnredhead · 28/09/2020 16:04

Ooh thanks. I'm swaying toward Lindos now. We went to Rethymno in Crete this year and I loved the gorgeous shops and restaurants, that's what I'm looking for, but without needing to go back to the same resort.

OP posts:
Please
or

autumnredhead · 28/09/2020 16:04

@Bec1710 - oh how lovely you got married there. I bet that was bliss.

OP posts:
Please
or

autumnredhead · 03/10/2020 10:54

So after looking at Pekos and then being Lindos bring recommended - I decided to go with the latter. I've trawled through TUI and Jet2 (ideally I would like to fly from Leeds/Bradford and TUI do not fly from there) I can't find a hotel I like!

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Greece that is similar, I really want to be close to the nice shops and restaurants.

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

Africa2go · 05/10/2020 10:00

Are you planning to go in August? I wouldn't recommend Lindos if you're going in August. It is incredibly hot and just ludicrously busy. We were there last year and I wouldn't return. You won't get a space on the beach (either of the bays close to Lindos) unless you're there for about 9am. Its pretty when all the day-trippers have gone (and the rooftop restaurants are stunning to be fair), but as you wander down the road in the day, its just coach load after coach load of people.

I would recommend Elounda in Crete - very relaxed, not overly busy, lovely restaurants next to the water or in the hills.

Please
or

Shitzngiggles · 05/10/2020 10:01

Pefkos was much nicer than Lindos in my opinion.

Please
or

Shitzngiggles · 05/10/2020 10:03

@Africa2go I was hoping to go to Elounda this year. Hopefully next year now.

Please
or

Theyweretheworstoftimes · 05/10/2020 10:08

Try the Sheraton Rhodes Resort. BA will give you 50 euros of room credit per day of your stay. That's a lot of drinks by the pool.

I found that Lindos and Pefkos are both small where as Rhodes town will keep you occupied for longer. Loads of boat trips to Lindos from Rhodes town or renting a car is cheap and the roads are very good.

Been warned flights are flooding into The Greek islands and it's getting very busy here.

Please
or

Africa2go · 05/10/2020 10:13

@Shitzngiggles oh fingers crossed, we were there in 2018 and I'd go back in a heartbeat especially at the moment

Please
or

autumnredhead · 05/10/2020 10:42

Thanks all,

Yes @Africa2go, it will be August as it's summer hols and when I can take leave.

I will take a look at Elounda, we went to rethymnon this year and loved it, but I would like to go somewhere different next year.

Thanks @Theyweretheworstoftimes - I will take a look at the Sheraton.

And yes @Shitzngiggles - I looked at Pefkos as it was recommended to me.

OP posts:
Please
or

Austereorange · 05/10/2020 10:50

We stayed at the Lindos White Hotel and Suites last year - it’s just outside Lindos but only a short taxi and we found it absolutely fantastic. I’ve stayed all over in Rhodes (and lived there for 3 months in ialyssos when I was younger) and honestly this was the best hotel (for value and location) I/we have had. Worth a look.

Please
or

Austereorange · 05/10/2020 10:53

Photo!

Pefkos or Rhodes town?
Please
or

Austereorange · 05/10/2020 10:56

My second suggestion would be to try Cyprus - paphos is really lovely.

Please
or

autumnredhead · 05/10/2020 12:12

@Austereorange - oh that looks stunning!!! I will take a look, thank you for sharing a picture. A short taxi ride to Lindos sounds ideal.

OP posts:
Please
or

Africa2go · 05/10/2020 12:32

I sound miserable here (and I don't mean to be) but @Austereorange did you visit in August? There is one main taxi rank in the centre and queues start to form about 6pm and last all night - we were in walking distance but queued one night as DC was unwell after dinner (about 10pm) and it was a 40 min wait.

I think Lindos would be lovely out of season but honestly in August, I would avoid.

Please
or

autumnredhead · 05/10/2020 13:15

@Africa2go @Austereorange thanks both! I had a look at the hotel @Austereorange you recommend and it wasn't available for the dates I wanted. I looked via TUI.

I'll take a look at Elounda. I don't know why I'm not that keen on Pefkos, it just looks small, Rethymno was lovely. But like I say, would like to go somewhere different.

Anyone know much about Agios Nikolaos?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?