Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Long car journey tips for 12 month old

3 replies

Hazelwood1 · 22/07/2020 15:50

We are driving to the south of France to stay with my French in laws but have only ever flown there in the past. I'm not so worried about my 3 year old as he can listen to stories etc in the car but I've no clue what to do with our 12 month old. Any tips?

He is in a rear facing car seat, leaning backwards and our car isn't big enough for me to sit between the seats in the back.

I'm dreading it...!

OP posts:
Please
or

LoisLittsLover · 22/07/2020 15:53

I'd do as much of the journey during overbought sleep times as possible

Please
or

limpingparrot · 22/07/2020 16:04

We do this fairly often. We try to do max 5 hours driving per day for starters. 3 year old is indeed no trouble. 12-24 months is the hardest age I think. I prepare a bag of toys and random objects (remote controls, fiddly things ) and basically hand one over when he's grumpy. Apart from that we hope for a nice long nap! And no milk in the morning as they're both car sick.

Please
or

Hazelwood1 · 23/07/2020 09:14

Thank you - good to know I'm not missing some magic thing and that it is just a case of basket of toys and naps!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?