Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

If travel company changes hotel, can I get money back?

2 replies

differentname · 21/07/2020 09:58

The hotel we were booked on is staying closed this year and we don't really want to go anymore, but can the travel company insist on paying?

OP posts:
Please
or

Tohaveandtohold · 21/07/2020 21:15

I would like to see the responses to this because I came here to ask the same question. I’ve booked the holiday since January before the whole thing started and due to pay the final instalment in August however I had an email from the travelling company this afternoon to say the hotel we booked in to stay in Aug is closed and they are offering a different one. I actually don’t even want to go anymore and want to know where I stand before replying them.

Please
or

HowFastIsTooFast · 23/07/2020 14:39

I can't say for sure that every company would be the same, and I'm sure some would try and wriggle out, but I work for a Tour Operator and yes, we class a hotel change as a 'major change' so would allow you to cancel and get a refund.

We'll offer alternatives first of course, and often an upgrade too, but if it's not the same resort/room type/view/facilities then as far as I'm concerned you are within your rights to say no.

This is what ABTA have to say on it... www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/frequently-asked-questions/my-holiday-company-has-changed-my-accommodation-can

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?