Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport Worry

10 replies

FrancesV83 · 07/07/2020 18:05

So... I applied for a passport renewal (due to name change) on the 8th June online and received my new one 22nd June, all good. I’ve since applied for my baby’s first passport and my 10 year olds renewal on the 22nd June and they’ve still not been approved. Due to go on holiday the 22nd July. Is there any hope of getting them in time???

OP posts:
Please
or

Mammawilson · 09/07/2020 20:10

I applied for mine and my 10 year old daughters first passports on the 22nd of April and we are both still waiting. We travel at the beginning of August

Please
or

PebblesE · 17/07/2020 23:37

Did you get it? I really hope so.
We received our 7 year old’s back within 5 days from Newcastle but nothing yet re our 10 year old’s from the Glasgow office and we Are due to fly on the 29th.

Please
or

Mnhealth202020 · 17/07/2020 23:45

Errr possibly not unfortunately

The government website specifically tells you not to apply for passports last minute if you have a holiday booked, you need to give them sufficient time and 4 weeks might not be enough. They do offer expedited services (at a higher cost) which you should have looked into.

Please
or

Mnhealth202020 · 17/07/2020 23:58

Actually just double checked the website, they have removed the expedited options and have a major backlog of applications.

I would recommend tweeting them for an update and ask them what they can do as your holiday is imminent. Some people have been waiting months whilst others received theirs in days. Children’s tend to take longer.

Please
or

FrancesV83 · 18/07/2020 08:47

I have tweeted them and heard nothing in 4 days and have now had to cancel my holiday. My eldest sons is on the way back and my youngests hasn’t been approved yet.
I had no choice but to apply late as they wouldn’t allow applications for months and I had to get a name change for my passport and wait for mine to return before applying for theirs as I have to put my passport number on their applications.

OP posts:
Please
or

PebblesE · 20/07/2020 08:13

I hope you don’t mind me asking but how did you get confirmation of the progress of each passport? We can’t seem to get any info at all

Please
or

dementedpixie · 20/07/2020 08:18

They normally text with updates

Please
or

WrongKindOfFace · 20/07/2020 08:23

@PebblesE

I hope you don’t mind me asking but how did you get confirmation of the progress of each passport? We can’t seem to get any info at all

If you applied online you log in with the reference they gave and you can see the current stage.

It does seem to be completely random as to how long they are taking.
Please
or
Please
or

Ardnassa · 05/08/2020 09:13

I hadn't realised how lucky I was with my passport renewal. I have an elderly close relative living overseas and my passport was due to expire in July. I felt uneasy that I might not be able to travel if I needed to so decided to just chance it (non-urgent application) back in May.

8 days from doing my application to receiving my new passport. Regular text updates and reminders. Amazing. But realise how lucky I was given some of the horror stories I am hearing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?