Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Had to cancel holiday due to my work

17 replies

starfish18 · 03/07/2020 19:58

Hi everyone...I just want your opinions...so on the 11th July 7 of us and our little boy were ment to be flying out to Crete and staying in a villa for 2 weeks...we found out on Monday that Crete won't let you into the country until the 15th July and the earliest flight we can get is a week later on the 18th July...the villa owners have been very understanding and flexible and we're happy to change our dates to the 18th July for 10 days or 2 weeks...I let the practice manager know the situation and she won't let myself or anyone change there holiday dates even if we need to postpone until later on in the year...we've had to cancel the holiday and move it to next year...im absolutely gutted and can't believe how my work are being over a situation that no one can help

OP posts:
Please
or

BackforGood · 03/07/2020 20:56

erm....... do you know there is a global pandemic on ?
do you know we've ALL lost our holidays this year?
Is there a reason why you think you are different from everyone else?
Has it occurred to you that this isn't your employer's fault ?

Of course it is disappointing. I'm sad to have lost my first holiday abroad in 3 years; My dd is sad to have lost her first ever 'girls' holiday they spent ages planning, researching, and working part time alongside their studies to pay for; my friend is gutted to lose her holiday to visit a new grandchild on the other side of the world that she hasn't met yet; two other friends are gutted not only to have lost their honeymoons, but their weddings too.
Still, we are all in a better place than those who have lost loved ones.

My opinion is that it is okay to feel sad, or disappointed - we all are - but not sure why you are trying to blame work.

Please
or

Apolloanddaphne · 03/07/2020 21:03

I have had to cancel three holidays over the Covid outbreak. It is what it is. You just have to accept it. Many people have had holidays cancelled.

Please
or

OhMyDarling · 03/07/2020 21:05

I worked through my unpaid leave and am not getting TOIL.
Can’t afford a fancy holiday, but lost our SUN £9.50 break. I’m a teacher and can’t rebook until the next promotion when I’m not guaranteed to secure a break as there are so few in the school hols. I worked through Easter and May half terms which are unpaid.
It sucks.
My brother lost his wedding, honeymoon and is worried about losing his BA job.
It’s sucks.
Welcome to the club.
At least we are all still alive.

Please
or

AnyFucker · 03/07/2020 21:08

I think that is rough, actually, for the sake of 3 days

Please
or

heartsonacake · 03/07/2020 21:09

Why should your work be flexible? It’s unfortunate but it’s tough shit and it isn’t their problem. The business needs come first.

Please
or

heartsonacake · 03/07/2020 21:10

@AnyFucker

I think that is rough, actually, for the sake of 3 days

It’s not 3 days, it’s a week. OP already discussed changing the holiday to the week after before checking with her employer.
Please
or

pandafunfactory · 03/07/2020 21:12

I agree with AF. It's been hell working for the nhs these last four months and the poor op is entitled to feel pretty gutted. She wanted to fly a week later but if they on,y took the 10 days it would be just three days different leave.

Please
or

FartingNora · 03/07/2020 21:12

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

AnyFucker · 03/07/2020 21:16

My mistake, a week. But yeah, my comment still stands

And I am talking as someone who lost a big fuck-off holiday in May

It's not a race to the bottom. Some on this thread seem to be working on the premise that if they lost out, then no one else has the right to be lucky

Please
or

roses2 · 03/07/2020 21:17

What's the reason your work wouldn't let you change dates - have rotas already been arranged? Or do you work in an office where it doesn't impact your colleagues if you shift your dates by a week?

Please
or

chocolatviennois · 03/07/2020 22:24

Would it be possible to postpone the holiday to Crete and book a new holiday for w/c 11th July.

Please
or

PersonaNonGarter · 04/07/2020 09:53

I think your work are being unreasonable. Is there anyone you can swap with.

TBH, I’d just say you will need to reorganise your dates for the sake of mental health. You need a break and here is your chance.

Please
or

TARSCOUT · 04/07/2020 10:10

Why won't they change your dates at work?

Please
or

starfish18 · 04/07/2020 15:24

My work won't let anyone change there holidays or adjust them slightly...we wanted to go a week later on the 18th for 10/14 days so would me having a couple of days extra off...they won't even let a girl go on her holiday in December...there wasn't a reason just no u can't change ur holidays so I've still got to have 2 weeks off even thou I've just come off furlough

OP posts:
Please
or

BackInTime · 04/07/2020 20:30

There is no guarantee that you will be able to travel to Greece from the 15th, it is entirely possible that this could be extended. Nothing is a certainty at the moment.

Please
or

rookiemere · 04/07/2020 20:43

I'm sorry starfish that's rubbish. We've had many permutations around possible summer holidays, and the only saving grace has been my work's unfailing flexibility.
Can you do something else instead?

Please
or

starfish18 · 04/07/2020 21:32

@rookiemere ye I can't believe how there being...I understand the situation eveyone is in due to covid...well we're trying to decide on a stay cation

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?