Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

flying and wearing a mask

8 replies

annaSab · 25/06/2020 11:53

Hi,

Our flight has not been cancelled yet(end of July) and might possibly go ahead given the news about air bridges. Austria has low numbers so might be possible???? Still unsure about flying though and wearing a mask the whole time. Has anyone done this and what was it like?
Think I might need to rethink the denim/chiffon masks we currently have as imagine feeling claustrophobic. Any advice??? Would love to go if risk is low but no idea what to think or if I am over reacting about being terrified and wanting to stay in our safe little bubble here.

OP posts:
Please
or

notimagain · 25/06/2020 12:09

Has anyone done this and what was it like?

Yep.

I think if you've already got used to have to wear a mask in shops, stores ( it's still a widespread requirement where we are) then it's not a big deal.

It's no more or no less comfortable than sitting in a car/bus/ or similar wearing one for an extended period of time..

Please
or

Alaimo · 25/06/2020 22:21

I have and it was fine. Flight was only 2 hrs. Read a book, have a nap, and before you know it you've landed.

Please
or

Alaimo · 25/06/2020 22:23

Oh do check the exact rules of your airline. I know of at least one airline that doesn't (or didn't when I flew) allow homemade face masks. If your airline has this stipulation you might want to get a few standard mass-produced ones instead?

Please
or

NCTDN · 26/06/2020 07:44

Where are you booked to stay OP? We are also going to Austria at the end of July and debating what to do of quarantine rules are relaxed.

Please
or

Pinksun12 · 26/06/2020 07:46

We went on a 6 hour train journey wearing a mask (not in the U.K.), I got disposable ones as they're more breathable, but it was ok.

Please
or

annaSab · 27/06/2020 09:19

thanks for all the advice.

NCTDN we are going to Vienna first and then to the countryside and Salzburg. We have a few airbnb's booked. Where are you going to ?

Alaimo, thanks will check with airline about masks and what is ok. That is a good point.

OP posts:
Please
or

RedCatBlueCat · 27/06/2020 09:34

Check the airport rules too. They also have rules about masks through security etc.

Please
or

choclatey · 27/06/2020 10:59

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?