Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

June 2021 honeymoon , Vietnam, Bali or something else?

26 replies

Cantdecidewhich · 14/05/2020 14:08

We have had to postpone our wedding until next year so to help get over the disappointment we are looking at honeymoon options for late June next year.
We like beaches, nice restaurants, live music or good bars and several day trips to see different sights.
So far in the running is Da Nang and Hoi An in Vietnam or 2 centres in Bali but we will consider any suggestions at all. We will go for 2 weeks, any suggestions gratefully received 😄 thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

ihatethecold · 14/05/2020 14:26

You would need to be ok about the rainy season for Vietnam.
Bali is ok as is the gulf of Thailand or Borneo.
What are your priorities for the holiday.

Please
or

Cantdecidewhich · 14/05/2020 15:29

Thanks for the reply, I thought central Vietnam was ok in June? We go to Thailand every Christmas so fancy a change. I guess our priorities are a good beach and good evening entertainment nowhere too secluded and quiet although we are past clubbing 😁. We like to go out in the day too to see local culture, boat trips etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

SJaneS48 · 14/05/2020 18:39

I haven’t been to Bali for many years but I think going on what Ive heard from friends and on here, it’s pretty marmite. Some areas are apparently over developed and spoilt, a sort of Aussie Costa del Sol but others have found areas they’ve really liked.

We stayed in Kuta many years ago - it was pretty much a party place which suited me fine at that time but had a seedy side (we were offered massages & drugs on a very regular basis strolling around). Driving through the countryside and visiting various temples was great though and there was a lot of beauty to see.

To sum up the waffle above, if you go for Bali I’d do my research on area pretty carefully!

Please
or

Puppylucky · 14/05/2020 18:45

I would echo the above comment about Bali. We went a couple of years ago and weren't all that impressed with where we stayed- Sanur but we also went to Ubud which was lovely. As part of the same trip we also went to Hoi An which was very pretty but also very busy. We stayed for a 10 days which was too long really as it's quite small. Vietnam generally is amazing though and in your shoes I'd be tempted to a multi centre trip - maybe following the Mekong?

Please
or

mrspotatohed · 14/05/2020 18:49

Vietnam is amazing, if you're going to do da nang and hoi an I would suggest adding in somewhere else. Hue is only two odd hours by train and the views are amazing. Hue is also the old imperial city so some lovely things to see. I can't comment on Bali as I have never been

Please
or

ihatethecold · 14/05/2020 21:07

There has been a fantastic travel series by Micheal Portillo on at the moment.
He is going through Thailand and Vietnam on a train.
Hoi An looks amazing

Please
or

Cantdecidewhich · 15/05/2020 07:02

@ihatethecold can you please remember what channel I will try and watch it.
Thanks for your other replies sounds like Bali may be a bad move.
I will definitely research Hue.
If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

OP posts:
Please
or

Pegase · 15/05/2020 07:11

Would do Bali. We went as one of the stops on our honeymoon but there are nicer places.

Langkawi/Penang would be my beach recommendations. Or Borneo.

Please
or

Pegase · 15/05/2020 07:11

Sorry meant to say wouldn't do Bali

Please
or

ihatethecold · 15/05/2020 07:51

Langkawi and Penang is in the rainy season in June July.

Please
or

NotPennysBoat · 16/05/2020 08:42

We've done both in the past 5years.

Hoi An is beautiful but soooo busy with tourists, and definitely too small to occupy two weeks. Vietnam is amazing but not peaceful or relaxing in my experience!

We adored Bali but you need to chose your location carefully - avoid Kuta at all costs! Ubud is inland (so no beach) but beautiful, could do a two-centre with Seminyak?

Please
or

FeltCarrot · 19/05/2020 07:54

We went to Vietnam last May/June. Started in Hanoi which was hot and very humid. You do get used to the humidity after a while though. Then we went south to Hue (not my favourite place but the Imperial City and a boat trip on the rivet worth it). We drove through DaNang, the beaches looked stunning but were empty because it was just too hot to go on the sand! Hoi An is gorgeous but busy and then on to HCMC where we had quite a few torrential downpours.
We didn’t go to sunbathe though! Absolutely love Vietnam and would go back in a flash. (Or as soon as this bloody virus is over😢)

Please
or

ShanghaiDiva · 19/05/2020 08:03

I have been to Vietnam many times and love Hoi An, but as previous posters have mentioned it is getting busier and busier and is a small town. Definitely recommend Hue. Weather in central Vietnam can be incredibly hot in summer with temperatures reaching 40 degrees when I was there 4 years ago. I have been to Hanoi in the summer too and although not the ideal time to visit we only had a couple of days with rain and there are plenty of museums etc so not a problem.
Dalat is also a lovely place and cooler as in the mountains, but I think wet season in the summer.
Other places which are dry in summer:
Malaysian Borneo
Parts of Laos
Java to combine with Bali

Please
or

AgentProvocateur · 19/05/2020 08:06

Vietnam, without a shadow of a doubt. But Hanoi and Ha Long Bay and Hoi An rather than Da Nang.

Please
or

Cantdecidewhich · 24/05/2020 10:52

@ihatethecold we watched the Vietnam episode last night and loved it!
thanks a million.

OP posts:
Please
or

ihatethecold · 24/05/2020 12:28

Your welcome. I love this series. It’s making me have wanderlust though.

I was supposed to be going to Thailand in July. 😭

Please
or

Mightymurphy · 24/05/2020 20:34

Bali is a shit hole. I’d do Vietnam. I fact I’d love to do Vietnam.

Please
or

Cantdecidewhich · 25/05/2020 05:09

@ihatethecold yes me too got very itchy feet now! Watched Jacarta last night.
Thailand is wonderful where have you booked to go, are you postponing or cancelling?

OP posts:
Please
or

Cantdecidewhich · 25/05/2020 05:10

@Mightymurphy yes coming to that conclusion. Looks like Vietnam but struggling with an itinerary.

OP posts:
Please
or

ihatethecold · 25/05/2020 08:26

We had 2 nights in an apartment in Bangkok
5 nights in Koh phangan
6 nights in Koh Samui.
Travelbag are working on a 28 rolling leaving dates so I will hear in approx 2 weeks.
They said I will get a credit note that will also tell me how to get a refund.
I have paid half the holiday so far and Travelbag haven’t requested the 2nd part of the payment.

I don’t know what to do about postponing. I’m thinking I will get a refund and will rebook with them when it’s more clear.

Please
or

Mightymurphy · 25/05/2020 16:37

OP, I’m coming back to say that just because I think it’s a shit hole, doesn’t mean you will. I am sorry for the way I worded that. I think when it comes to travel we all like different things and just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean you will love it.

I’d still chose Vietnam though!

Please
or

SamBee1 · 26/05/2020 17:38

Jeez - Bali's getting a bad rap, but there's a reason i've been over 30 times (ok, family, work - but i'd go loads if it was just for holiday) - there are vast chunks that are incredible, beautiful, and untouched (ok, not untouched, but 85% of tourists stick to southern beach resorts, and 14% nip up to Ubud for 3 days). Vietnam is too risky for me weatherwise, and there are certainly parts of it horrifically scarred (by Russian / Chinese tourism).

The reality is you can find what you're looking for in either destination, just plan! I'd say Bali for the culture, and then Lombok for the beaches. And if you fancy something totally unique, Komodo for the dragons, Kalimantan for the orangutans, or Kura Kura if you want something Maldivian-esque. Or Java for the temples?

Eitehr way Bali is a tiny blop on the map of Indonesia. 2 weeks there will be great (Lovina has quiet beaches. Menjangan is fab), but i'd be wanting to see a little bit more as well!

Please
or

MagnoliatheMagnificent · 26/05/2020 17:42

We went to Kerala, South India for ours. Absolutely beautiful place, loads of varied places to explore. We travelled around quite a bit. Definitely worth considering.

Please
or

Cantdecidewhich · 30/05/2020 09:02

@MagnoliatheMagnificent It’s Monsoon in Kerala in June.

@SamBee1 would you recommend Seminyak and somewhere else as a 2 centre holiday?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?