Turkey in June - hadn't booked in insurance
Werkwerkwerkwerkwerkwerk · 15/03/2020 21:16
Just looking for some advice and I'm not too sure where I stand.
Partner and I booked a holiday for june a few months ago before corona became a real "thing"
We're set to fly on June 6th for a week but Turkey are probably close to closing their borders and the situation could worsen in the uk in the time leading up to our trip.
Thing is...we didnt immediately book travel insurance. You're only covered for the days you're on holiday so we thought we'd book it the month before......only now we cant book insurance as no company is going to cover in these circs.
Holiday is a package deal through LoveHolidays , my question is : can we get a refund if shizz goes down and we cant fly (out of our control) or is this a lesson learnt.
HunterHearstHelmsley · 15/03/2020 21:19
Can't answer regarding whether you will get a refund or not. But travel insurance does not just cover the days you are away. It covers you if you cannot travel for certain reasons (e.g. death of a close family member)
mirmc · 15/03/2020 21:41
I would contact Loveholidays and see can you change to a later date. We had a hotel booked with them in Spain in May and they changed it to October for us. In my experience travel insurance is useless!
Werkwerkwerkwerkwerkwerk · 15/03/2020 21:54
@HunterHearstHelmsley ...I had no idea.
This is my first holiday with him on our own (I'm 19)
So thought I'd ask the all knowing mums here !
Thank you x
EnglishGirlApproximately · 15/03/2020 22:00
I'd wait before doing anything tbh. Mody tour operators are giving rebooking incentives for anyone who is unable to travel for this reason, and if the operator cancels you'll be entitled to a refund under the Package Travel Regulations. Love holidays are notorious for claiming that their holidays aren't package but if it was booked in one transaction it absolutely is and you'll be covered.
In future always buy insurance at the time of booking, even though most dont cover Force Majeur the cover for all manner of other reasons you might need to cancel.
AttilaTheMeerkat · 16/03/2020 10:40
You need to really buy travel insurance at the time of booking so please do that in future.
Such online companies act as agents rather than providers of package holidays so if you want a package holiday you need to use a high street travel company. Did they cost up each part of the package separately?.
Turkey as a country is planning to bring in more measures against the coronavirus outbreak this week.
Silverstreaks · 16/03/2020 14:50
In travel terms June is a long way off. If you cancel Loveholidays will probably charge you a cancellation fee. I'd hold on until the date or near to it and assess then. Chances are it will be cancelled and you'll get back from LH or your payment card.
fuzzyduck1 · 18/03/2020 03:59
Change your bank account to one that includes travel insurance. Usually about £15 a month but you’ll also get other perks as well.
mencken · 18/03/2020 10:20
the insurance would have covered you for cancellation from the day you bought it. (although maybe not for coronavirus). This is for things like an injury or illness beforehand which means you can't go, a death or illness in the family etc. You can also get airline and company failure add ons.
yes, it is a lesson learnt. For another time when we can all travel again.
that said - if the FCO advice against all non-essential travel abroad continues (and it almost certainly will) then you may get something back. you can only wait and see.
Seven8nine · 19/03/2020 12:14
We moved our flight & hotel package without problems with Loveholidays.
This is what we did.
On your booking you should have the value of the accommodation, it should be free to change to a different hotel or destination up to 5 days before travel. Search where you want to go, check the value is similar (or you can pay the difference) then message Loveholidays through your booking online.
Our flight element was with Ryanair which we changed ourselves directly. We picked flights similar costs to what we paid.
Alternatively you can wait until closer to the date as you can change accommodation up to 5 days before and flights I think 24 hours but do check the terms of your booking as it might be different from ours.
Hope that helps.
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.