Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is there anywhere else we'd love as much as Portaventura in Salou?

8 replies

BombayTricycleClub · 24/02/2020 19:22

Went last year for a week with 12yo DD and loved it! Park was perfect size for us, lots of thrill rides, great weather, gorgeous hotel and resort, right next to a beach, cheesy family fun (magician dinner show) in Salou within 15min walking distance from hotel. To be honest, we could've went for longer as I felt it took us a week just to do the parks and we didn't get to do much exploring of Salou. We booked it last minute (well, three weeks in advance) and got it more than half usual price at around £950 for one adult, one 12yo and half board. This was an onsite hotel with main park pass included. Absolute bargain!

DD is desperate to go again so I'm going to bide my time and hope for another last minute deal as I couldn't stand paying £2000 odds knowing we got it so much cheaper last year! Also, I don't want to do the same holiday 2 years in a row as I feel it might spoil our memories of the first trip as it was so perfect. I'm trying to convince DD to hold of a year or two and we can go back.

Keen to do something similar if anything exists? DLP we did when she was younger. Not enough thrill rides. Efteling - same as DLP. So those two are out. I've been eyeing up Europa Park in Rust but a bit reluctant as it all needs to be booked separately (I love a package holiday!) and doesn't have the weather or beaches like Salou.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but can any other theme park-enthusiasts recommend somewhere just as good?

Must haves:

Nearby lovely beach with town/places to shop/explore

At least 27C in July

Pool at hotel with added bonus of a waterpark (DD not keen on flumes though as not a confident swimmer so must have little one slides for her!)

Theme park with lots of thrill rides that's the same size of Portaventura or even bigger!

Needs to be shorthaul - saving up for Orlando which we're hoping to do in a few years!

I've searched for ages on the internet and lots of forums are saying nothing compares to Salou. Would be grateful for any experiences.

OP posts:
Please
or

mumto2teenagers · 24/02/2020 20:13

If it’s the theme park in particular then we haven’t been anywhere that is as big and such a good location. Have you done the UK theme parks, could you maybe do a week at a different beach resort and then a separate weekend at Thorpe park or Alton towers.

Please
or

PrincessSloth · 24/02/2020 20:19

Okay okay I know its seen as the WORST. HOLIDAY. EVER. on Mumsnet. It what about Benidorm?

Lovely and hot in July, there's the water park... Aqualandia I think? The theme park and then the zoo, plenty to do and shows in the evening with magicians, hypnotists etc.

Pmus it's relatively cheap and cheerful. Yes it's very "brits abroad" but then so was Salou when we went.

I'd pick Benidorm over Salou if we were going to either again to be honest!

Please
or

PrincessSloth · 24/02/2020 20:20

TERRA MITICA... That's the name of the theme park. Remembered as soon as I pressed post!

Please
or

Snuffkindle · 25/02/2020 07:53

What about Tenerife? Costa Adeje so you can go to Siam.Park water park. Different to last year but similar elements. Don't think you'd get as good a deal as that one though!

Please
or

BombayTricycleClub · 26/02/2020 14:52

Thanks so much everyone for the time you've taken to answer! Theme park near by is a must. DD isn't confident on big flumes etc as not confident in water but she loves little ones slides so waterpark wouldn't be a substitute for a theme park but would certainly be a bonus alongside a theme park.

Based on your advice/experiences, we are eyeing up Magic Robin Hood hotel in Benidorm with day trips to the zoos, Valencia, beach, water parks and - of course - the theme park Grin We're really excited about this hotel and have it priced for just under £2000 for the start of our Scottish school summer holidays in July (All inclusive + which apparently means some of the aforementioned day trips are included). Now debating with myself if I should put down a deposit now as I'm happy with that price and we don't want it to sell out or if we should hold off for any discount nearer the time (i was definitely spoiled with last year's Salou deal!)

As a compromise to the theme park only being a one-day event in Benedorm as opposed to the whole holiday evolving around it, we're going to do a bit of a road trip down to London towards the end of the summer holidays from Scotland to Pleasure Beach to Dreyton Manor to Alton Towers and finishing up at Thorpe Park. We've only ever did Pleasure Beach out of those before so very excited!

Thanks again for all the advice. Love having something in the summer to look forward to. Helps this horrible end-of winter drudgery definitely!

OP posts:
Please
or

PrincessSloth · 28/02/2020 23:17

Well I hope you enjoy Benidorm if you do go! Like I said before, it's cheap and cheerful.

My DP took me one year, he had been before.

Initially when we first got there I was like... Where the hell have you taken me but I just had to take off my pearls and it was one of the best holidays I've ever been on!

Please
or

NCTDN · 29/02/2020 09:14

FYI, europapark is the best theme park we have ever been to, but def no beach nearby!

Please
or

Tommorrowsanewday · 01/03/2020 14:48

I can recommend Gardaland in Lake Garda, Italy. We stayed in Peschiera about 1.5 miles from the Theme Park. It also has a water park next door, Movieland and an aquarium. There’s a free bus runs from the train station. Day trips to Venice and Verona, beautiful lakeside walks and beaches nearby.
www.google.co.uk/search?q=gardaland&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:,rc_ludocids:13785984348042694893,rc_q:Gardaland,ru_q:Gardaland

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?