Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cruising amid Corona

4 replies

BananaLeafLady · 12/02/2020 10:30

I know some people arent cruise fans but rhis post is aimed at fellow cruise lovers.
4 of us have been planning to book a Caribbean Cruise for mid March.
Yesterday the last of us finally got leave aporoved from work and the prices have dropped so we are now probably going to book it this weekend.
However, lots if cruise companies are cancelling or not stopping at some ports on thier Asia cruises. Obviously being that we will be in the Caribbean thus currently won't impact us but.....
I'm beginning to get concerned about the fact this virus is yet to impact the rest of the world, its only a matter of time in my opinion. Everyone knows that cruises can be highly impacted by illness on board.
More than contracting the virus myself being a concern, it's more being quarantined in my cabin for 14 days that stress as me out. Those poor people on that Princess Cruise in Japan, have the 14 days restarted every time someone new is diagnosed. We are most likely to be in an inside cabin too.as the Balcony and Window cabins are all sold out!

Just would like to gauge other cruise lovers thoughts right now and of you would wait until much nearer the date (it's 4 weeks away now) to book to see how this virus and the worldwide control methods pan out or would.you book now regardless?

Just to add, we always generally book fairly late, so other late booking concerns aren't of concern, we generally just go with the flow.

OP posts:
Please
or

CadburysTastesVileNow · 12/02/2020 10:34

Have reluctantly decided dare not book anything at the moment

Please
or

Crawley65 · 12/02/2020 10:40

I’d give it a miss for several reasons.

If you are quarantined could you really deal with being stuck in an inside cabin? The worry the cruise will be cancelled and you have to quickly try and rebook something.

I’d go for going to the Caribbean and perhaps doing a two island holiday as a compromise this year.

Please
or

ajandjjmum · 12/02/2020 10:56

It would be a real struggle to be in an inside cabin, but I think the Caribbean is probably safe - certainly at the moment. Maybe check out where the ship is coming from?

We are flying to Australia via Singapore on 1st April, and I'm wondering how we will stand if there isn't a clearer picture at that point. Hope the insurance stands up!

If you go - have a fabulous time!

Please
or

BinkyandBunty · 12/02/2020 11:02

Hmmm.

I'm a cruise addict, 3 future cruises booked. Two this year are past the refundable stage or I'd probably cancel. I'll be getting very good insurance!

I wouldn't be booking anything new at the moment and especially not in an inside cabin. Not particularly worried about the virus itself, but the quarantine sounds absolutely awful and you never know when and where that will happen next.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?