Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Portaventura / Salou

6 replies

MozzchopsThirty · 05/02/2020 22:04

Hi
I'm considering a holiday here in August with 2 dcs (15 & 10)
They need to be busy so they don't get on each other's (and my) nerves Grin

Can anyone please help with the following:
Is it worth staying in a cheaper hotel & buying tickets in UK
Is the theme park worth visiting more than once?
How many water parks are there locally?
Any hotel recommendations? (Looking at HB or AI)

TIASmile

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 06/02/2020 05:52

If you stay in one of the official PortAventura hotels, your PortAventura World tickets are automatically included when you book and you’ll even get special discounts on the Express Passes. You get a 1-day admission to Ferrari Land and discounts on Caribe Aquatic Park. You can use your room key to pay in the shops and restaurants in the parks and anything you buy in the parks will be delivered back to your hotel. Also they have a parade and fireworks display at midnight. Not only is night time a great time to visit the park as there are virtually no queues, but the fireworks are in my opinion a ‘must see’. We arrived 15 minutes before the start time and got a perfect viewing point, in Disneyland you would need to arrive an hour before hand and even then you may not have a clear view.
The park itself is spotless and the restaurant choices are excellent. Thankfully not all burger joints like some other parks I have visited. Prices were very reasonable too and they had a good mix of pizzas, chicken Caesar salad as well as a kids menu. Beers and ice creams didn’t break the bank either, dearer than in a resort centre but not extortionate. We found the park overall very reasonably priced compared to others we had visited.

Please
or

MozzchopsThirty · 06/02/2020 08:34

Oh wow that all sounds very positive

I was considering center parcs Europe but the accommodation looks shocking!

Is the aquopolis water park worth doing?
Or just caribe and portaventura?

If I don't go for one of the portaventura hotels is there a nice area to stay nearby?

OP posts:
Please
or

Bluewavescrashing · 09/02/2020 19:43

Center Parcs De Kempervennen has lovely premium lodges in the 700s. Fab real ski slope with very cheap lessons too.

Please
or

Milliways · 09/02/2020 21:46

We stayed with Thomson Alfresco in an air conditioned mobile home at Camping Sanguli. It’s minutes from Portaventura and we bought a 5 day pass in the UK before we went, which meant we could pop in and out without having to spend entire days there in the heat.
We didn’t do the water park as we don’t do the heat very well (freckles, ginger etc) and this was August, but it did look fantastic.

Please
or

Mamato2gorgeousboys · 09/02/2020 21:51

I don’t have recommendations on where to stay but Aquopolis is 100 times better than Caribe, the water park attached to Port Aventura. Port aventura is great, but I would budget for the fast passes as if not, you’ll be waiting around all day especially if you’re going in school holidays.

Please
or

MozzchopsThirty · 10/02/2020 11:20

Thanks for the advice

I've booked a hotel with portaventura and caribe water park tickets
But I saw aquopolis looks fab so will definitely book tickets for this before we go

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?