Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What site to book a holiday through?

26 replies

PinkDaydreams · 30/01/2020 07:13

Morning!
Fed up of the Tui website. I hate that I have to select a date and only +/- 3 days either side. Then when I click on a holiday then click back to look at my search results I have to input the amount of people, airport, destination and number of days all over again as the site has reset. It’s very time consuming.
Where do you all look for holidays please as I only know Tui and First Choice. Two adults and a two year old looking for Canary Islands for a week or 10/11 days. Flexible on dates, want a bargain but not too far from the airport. Don’t fancy a 90 minute transfer which some are coming up with!
Thanks all Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Misty9 · 30/01/2020 07:18

I really like jet2 holidays as all the things like transfers and baggage are included from the start so it's easy to see the real price. Have holidayed with them twice and was happy both times. Have a holiday to the canaries booked for Easter Smile

Please
or

Caramel78 · 30/01/2020 07:25

OTBEACH is always really good. Used them loads of times and never had any issues and there’s always good deals

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 30/01/2020 07:26

Second the jet2holidays section. You can put your requirements in the deals section and then further tweak using the deals section, then sort by price to see what looks good.

The search facility with onthebeach is also really good and you can add a transfer, or make your own arrangements. If you're looking at somewhere not too far from the airport, getting a taxi from the airport won't be expensive.

Please
or

Oblomov20 · 30/01/2020 07:35

I am using all of these atm and find them all quite frustrating!

Please
or

okiedokieme · 30/01/2020 07:47

Travel republic is good, not packaged though

Please
or

DivisionBelles · 30/01/2020 07:50

Loveholidays are good. We've used them a couple of times. You do end up flying Ryanair or EasyJet mostly though, as long as you're fine with that.

Please
or

Teacaketotty · 30/01/2020 07:52

Love holidays are great - you can pay in installments and change flight operators and times to suit you. However once we added the baggage on we found it was actually cheaper to book direct with Jet2 for the same holiday so definitely shop around. Jet 2 are great and fantastic flight times usually!

Please
or

funmummy48 · 30/01/2020 07:52

We've also used Love Holidays for our last 3 trips and have found them really good.

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 30/01/2020 07:55

Thanks all! I remember trying another site and then having to faff with luggage which frustrates me. To be honest, little one won’t be checking in a case which may actually save us money tui/first choice always calculate with a case and can’t remove it.
For posters mentioning taxis, is there a way to prebook at all? Or is it easy enough to flag when at the airport. I always worry about getting ripped off with taxis as no idea what price to expect.

OP posts:
Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 30/01/2020 07:59

Just had a quick look at jet2. It looks like I have to pick specific dates, is there a way to pick out cheapest date of the month easily rather than clicking through every date?

OP posts:
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 30/01/2020 08:00

Airports routinely have a taxi rank and once you know where you're going, you'll be able to google the typical price. I've never prebooked, but I'm sure it's possible or services like resort hoppa might be cheaper but then you're risking being one of several pick ups so will take longer.

At this stage all you need to be concerned about booking is the flights and accomodation. Everything else like luggage, transfers or hire car can be added on later.

Please
or

DivisionBelles · 30/01/2020 08:01

With Loveholidays you can get a whole month view and pick the cheapest date. Just input the month into your search rather than specific dates. You can book transfers/taxis with them too.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 30/01/2020 08:03

If you pick a rough date and then the accomodation, there's a link that allows you to see different dates and prices on a calendar.

Or you could do a flight only search, see what flights are cheap and then use those dates to search for a package as presumably there's some correlation.

www.jet2.com/lff

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 30/01/2020 08:04

With On the Beach, you can see flights across a range of dates. I think it applies a +/- 7 days option and then shows you the cheapest option within that range.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 30/01/2020 08:07

Luggage with jet2 is quite good as you are allowed a decent sized wheelie case and a handbag/small rucksack in the cabin, plus it's not hugely expensive for a hold case should you need it.

Can look more expensive than Ryanair before luggage is added, but the gap closes hugely if you need to take anything more than a small rucksack with you as anything more than this is chargeable.

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 30/01/2020 10:35

Not really bothered who we fly with as it’s a short haul flight. Desperate to go on holiday, haven’t been abroad for nearly three years.

OP posts:
Please
or

MurrayTheMonk · 30/01/2020 19:00

I also like Jet2-been away twice with them and both times were great!

Please
or

louisethedisease · 30/01/2020 19:12

I was going to post the exact same question. I've been looking for a few weeks now on every site going, some are so annoying. I like to see the whole price including everything, transfers and luggage etc. Looking to travel around 20th July with 2 adults and 1 10 year old. I can go from 4 different airports if needed but don't know where in the world to go.

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 31/01/2020 06:48

I was looking yesterday and luggage prices really bump up the holiday. I think I will end up booking through tui as they seem cheapest, which I’m very surprised at! Has anyone used holiday hypermarket as they also seem to be a bit cheaper and they offer nhs discount too.

OP posts:
Please
or

Effiedg · 03/02/2020 02:37

Have used Tui and Jet2. Although they offer upgrades neither seem offer to the best rooms.

Please
or

Effiedg · 03/02/2020 02:41

PS don't bother with the coach transfers. Book a taxi. You leave immediately and get to your hotel much quicker as there are no drop offs. You can do book a taxi as part of a Jet2 package.

Please
or

Daddylonglegs1965 · 04/02/2020 22:12

I also like Jet2.
What I tend to do is if I know where I want to go to and where to fly from I look at the flights for say July or August first. That gives me an idea of the cheapest dates then I price holidays up for those dates. Usually Sundays, Monday’s or Tuesdays are cheaper than Fridays and Saturdays.
Also we always book a private transfer this cuts the journey time down and we can’t be bothered with waiting and faffing about until every person has got on the coach.

Please
or

RedRec · 04/02/2020 22:20

Another vote for Jet2 here. I have been away with them for the last four years and the experience has been great every time. Booking is easy, luggage allowance is generous and the staff are lovely. Leeds Bradford airport is very nice too.

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 05/02/2020 05:36

I’ve looked on jet2 but the thing that annoys me is that I have to go through every date individually to find a deal/low price. It’s very time consuming. Thomas cook used to let you pick a full month to depart......look what’s happened to them though Confused

OP posts:
Please
or

RedRec · 05/02/2020 07:01

@PinkDaydreams, from what I can remember, if you pick one date and take it all the way through to the booking stage (without booking, obvs), you see a calendar right at the end, showing prices of other dates around then (for about a month). I saved £500 this way one year.
Good luck.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?