Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Just me for the weekend - where to?

11 replies

Bigoystershell · 28/01/2020 19:19

I've got a rare weekend to myself over May bank hol, just Friday to Sunday. I can get cheap flights to Oslo, Milan, Paris, Cologne which are all potentials (I've been to Paris but not the others).

Where would you choose and why?

OP posts:
Please
or

midsomermurderess · 28/01/2020 19:56

I'd choose Lyon. Lots of well-priced flights go there and it's a beautiful city. You could take in an Opera if that's your thing and there are the usual museums and galleries. It's easy to get around by bus and tram and metro. It's famous for its rich and hearty food too, and a visit to it's various food markets including Les Halles de Lyon – Paul Bocuse, is worthwhile. Park Tete D'Or is lovely for a walk or a run. The old medieval centre can get very crowded, a bit like Edinburgh's Royal mile but there is plenty more to see and wander round. It's a great city.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 28/01/2020 19:57

Hamburg gets good press these days too. I haven't been but a friend went last year for a long weekend and enjoyed it.

Please
or

Bigoystershell · 28/01/2020 20:20

Aw just checked Lyon and it's quite a bit more expensive for the flight, can get the others for a lot less. Thanks though, it sounds great and I wouldn't have thought of it

OP posts:
Please
or

reluctantbrit · 28/01/2020 20:26

Hamburg is fantastic and not only because it's DH home town.

Milan is surprisingly small but beautiful. It would be my first choice from the ones you mentioned.

Please
or

Mamabear88 · 28/01/2020 20:33

I wouldn't go to Oslo if you're worried about spending too much money, it may have a cheap flight but it's insanely expensive when you get there!!!

Please
or

Mumblechum0 · 28/01/2020 20:38

Milan is really nice. Mixture of naviglie (sp)?where there are lots of nice bars and restaurants along a canal. Nice architecture (cathedral, beautiful old shopping arcade), designer outlet shops and you can do a day trip to Venice on the train very easily.

Please
or

switcharoo · 28/01/2020 20:39

Ghent or Bruges

Please
or

stophuggingme · 28/01/2020 20:43

Cologne is great
Oslo is very expensive and imo a bit dull

I would love to visit Milan so that would be
My choice
I am very envious
Enjoy !

Please
or

Bigoystershell · 28/01/2020 20:46

Lol I thought Oslo might be a bit dull, give. It's also expensive it's off the list. Looks like Milan is a popular option, will look at that and also Cologne. Thanks all for replying.

Agree Bruges is lovely but have been there, thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

SJaneS48 · 29/01/2020 07:03

Milan would be my last choice. We’re really frequent visitors to Italy and I liked it a lot less than I thought I would. It was heavily bombed in WW2 and captured by other countries over the centuries so much of what I like about Italy was destroyed and remodelled along straight lines. It’s got a very modern feel and very few piazza’s around every corner. The area around the train station is really grim and the city comparatively expensive food wise. The duomo is magnificent and the Sforza castle interesting but overall I found it a real let down and a bit ugly and commercial. Apologies to any Milan fans!

Cologne is nice. It’s not huge and easy to get round in a weekend. It’s pretty with lots of medieval buildings stretched along the river.it feels pretty sociable with lots of outside eating and drinking. The cathedral is interesting along with a Roman history museum and the Chocolate museum is worth a visit, the gift shop is fantastic!

Paris is always worth going back to & finding something you’ve not seen before. If you’ve never been then definitely go there! It’s a beautiful city with a huge amount of art, culture, history and shopping. Even if you’ve been multiple times it’s always worth a revisit!

Oslo I’ve not been too but I have been to Norway. Norway is quite stupidly expensive but if you’ve got the money and want somewhere different then worth looking into? Not Norway but I have been to Stockholm (and the flights are cheap there too). Stockholm is lovely - spread out across a series of islands and even though it’s pricey, definetely worth going too.

Please
or

Isleepinahedgefund · 29/01/2020 07:04

Milan, and head up to lake come. Doesn't take long and it's breathtakingly beautiful.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?