Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lakes in Italy- best places to go

12 replies

sandybanana · 26/01/2020 10:23

Hi there,

Looking to go to one of the Italian lakes in June . We have a 9 and 5 year old.

Can anyone recommend a lake/ resort/ hotel please..

Never been before. Looking for a four star plus hotel.

All advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 26/01/2020 11:43

Two hotels to recommend: Du Lac et Du Parc and Le Torri del Garda

Please
or

PirateWeasel · 26/01/2020 11:51

Du lac et du parc is amazing! Definitely second that

Please
or

LIZS · 26/01/2020 12:17

Lake Garda - Riva/Torbole especially if your dc fancy sailing/kayaking, Peschiera if you want family friendly and lake beaches with easy access to Verona.

Please
or

Quartz2208 · 26/01/2020 12:20

We stay in the Parc hotel Germano in Bardolino in a self catering apartment
There is a theme park and nature park close as wrll

Please
or

sandybanana · 26/01/2020 14:32

Thank you all! Going to take a look 😁👍

OP posts:
Please
or

Ellmau · 26/01/2020 18:37

I'd say definitely Lake Garda for young DCs.

The lake is quite big, so if you won't have a car you're fairly restricted to activities around either the north end (prettier, also good for water sports) or the south end (access to the Gardaland theme park) - the ferry takes too long to go all the way plus activities at the other end then back again, although ISTR a bus as well. From Riva you can also get busses northward to interesting places - I liked little Lake Ledro, which you can walk round, and has an interesting little museum on ancient lake dwelling peoples.

The Du Lac et Du Parc hotel in Riva, recommended by others, is indeed lovely if you choose the northern end.

Please
or

spongedog · 26/01/2020 18:46

I absolutely love the West Italian lakes - Como, Maggiore, Orta. You have access to easy travel via Milan/Bergamo and the lake towns. Also good rail links to Switzerland. Each lake is so different. We loved it so much we bought a flat on lake Como. Garda is my least favourite - much larger and more touristy.

Please
or

usernotfound0000 · 31/01/2020 15:59

Bella Italia, Lake Garda. It had lots to do on site but was also a perfect location for exploring. Near Venice, Verona and Gardaland.

Please
or

chilimartini · 31/01/2020 16:00

West Italian lakes!

Please
or

Effiedg · 03/02/2020 02:33

Lake Garda - Malcesine is beautiful. Lots of cafes, restaurants and gorgeous little shops. You can go to Limone on the boat for next to nothing.

Please
or

jakeyboy1 · 03/02/2020 13:06

We stayed at Hotel Casius bear Bardolino absolutely stunning and also has indoor pool. Food was stunning. The kids menu is quite flash and my kids objected but the staff take one look at you and go "English? Tomato pasta yes?!" And everyone's a winner!

Please
or

SebandAlice · 03/02/2020 13:10

The Color Hotel is the nicest in Bardolino. The hotel restaurant has a Michelin star and children are very welcome.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?