Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Family driving & cycling holiday west & SW France

3 replies

phoebemcpeepee · 31/12/2019 10:32

We've had an invitation to stay at a friends villa for a week in northern Spain (northern costa Brava) and have this idea of driving down but over the course of a week and getting out on our bikes and seeing some of the countryside.

Our dc (tweens & teens) are very active and capable cyclists and I've cycled in France before so no concerns about the actual cycling but not really sure which route to take (Calais or dieppe) , where to stopover and how exactly to plan the trip without it costing us an arm and a leg! We are on a budget but this is meant to be an adventure so more interested in quirky than luxurious!
Any recommendations on where to travel, cycle or stay or general tips much appreciated.

OP posts:
Please
or

Thunderpunt · 31/12/2019 10:46

Carcasson/Maubuisson is lovely. Huge lake about 10km inland from the Atlantic - separated by beautiful pine forests with amazing cycle/walking paths. You have the calm of the lake (which has beaches all round and never gets deeper than about waist high) and the huge waves for body boarding/surfing or watching the experts do it.
A bit further south is Arcachon (I think) which I have heard is also lovely. Not sure if these are far enough south for you though?
(Bordeaux area)

Please
or

Thunderpunt · 31/12/2019 10:48

Also meant to say the pine forests have campsites some with lodges I believe so you don't have to take your own tent !

Please
or

phoebemcpeepee · 31/12/2019 11:01

Thanks we already had Archachon down as a possibility if we could figure a route and Carcassonne looks like a good final destination distance wise - we're aiming for no more than 250 miles driving in a day so these work really well. Just need to work the first few stops hopefully taking in some of the Loire velo route which is brilliant for family cycling.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?