Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Can you help me find a good hotel: Spain, Italy, Portugal or similar

5 replies

SunshineOutdoors · 30/12/2019 17:44

I don’t want to sound like a snob but I’m sure someone here can help. We did half board at a hotel in Majorca a couple of years ago. The dc loved that there was a pool, evening entertainment and English speaking children to make friends with. I struggled with the food being mainly fried breakfast and chicken/burger and chips,the entertainment consisting of agadoo style music at the kids disco followed by dodgy hypnotist type acts. Also the resort with English bars advertising British staff and serving fosters.
Is there a hotel that exists that will provide a better selection of food and slightly more cultured entertainment (especially if it’s related to the country we’re staying in) and some nice sightseeing places nearby, yet will still give the dc what they liked about the Majorca holiday? Oh and be fairly cheap?
Dc will be just turned 9 (dd) and just turned 7 (dd).
Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

SunshineOutdoors · 30/12/2019 17:45

Oh and it will be August when we plan on going.

OP posts:
Please
or

SunshineOutdoors · 30/12/2019 17:46

And the 7 year old is ds not dd (should preview before I post)

OP posts:
Please
or

Ceejly · 30/12/2019 17:50

Youwill probably struggle to find this in a single hotel. I would recomemnd Salema, Praia da Luz and the Western Algarve. Much less built up, more authentic but still a reasonably large number of Northern European tourists and the accompanying infrasturcture. Alternatively Palma and Málaga are both beautiful cities with lots of culture and authenticity and beautiful beaches nearby. Cassis in Provence is beautiful though most of the tourists are French. Do you speak any other languages? Because that would open up lots of places to you.

Please
or

SunshineOutdoors · 30/12/2019 19:06

Thank you. Dh and I speak a very tiny bit of french and German respectively. We went to Austria last year - ds was happy to overcome the language barrier with other children - mainly by playing dogs and just barking at each other! - but dd struggled I think she felt a bit lonely not being able to chat with others. I will take a look at the resorts you mentioned, thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

loutypips · 30/12/2019 19:23

Stayed in Estival Torrequebrada in October, just outside of Benalmádena. It was lovely. There were a mix of European guests,

It was lovely. Food was good and rooms were nice- if I go back I'd upgrade the room to a junior suite though.

It was about a 30 minute walk to the main resort or a ten minute bus ride.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?