Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flam Railway in Norway

5 replies

notanotherpothole · 29/12/2019 22:31

We are heading to Norway in August and are planning on travelling by train. I can't find out if train tickets are transferable if we stop off along the way. Can we get off the Oslo/ Bergen railway to visit Flåm overnight? Or do I need separate tickets for each day.
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

parrotonmyshoulder · 14/01/2020 10:02

I don’t know the answer to your question, but we did Oslo to Flam on the railway, stayed there for a couple of nights (Ausland) and then took a ferry to Bergen so got a fjord trip too.

Please
or

parrotonmyshoulder · 14/01/2020 10:03

Last August. Brilliant time to travel. Norwegian schools were back on about 20th August.

Please
or

Teds77 · 14/01/2020 21:40

Flåm isn’t on the line between Oslo and Bergen - it’s a branch line off the main line (you get on at Myrdal and then the railway ends in Flåm). So you need to buy a Oslo to Flåm ticket and then a Flåm to Bergen ticket.

It may be possible to buy a Oslo to Bergen ticket and break the journey and then buy a Myrdal to Flåm return but even if it is I suspect you’ll have to buy a more expensive flexible ticket and there are a range of discounted advance train tickets that I suspect would work out cheaper.

Would you not want to do ‘Norway in a Nutshell’? So get the train into Flåm and the take the boat to Gudvangen - the boat trip really is beautiful. You then get the bus on to Voss and then the train to Bergen. I could take or leave the bus trip but the boat was pretty special.

We got the train from Oslo to Myrdal and then the line down to Flåm. We stayed overnight in Flåm and then got the boat, bus and train to Bergen.

You definitely don’t need to use a tour to do this. Am fairly sure we prebooked everything direct, possible with the exception of the bus. I’ll double check!

Please
or

notanotherpothole · 17/01/2020 21:08

Thanks Teds77, my husband isn't keen on boats so looking alternatives, with maybe a shorter boat trip.

OP posts:
Please
or

tribpot · 17/01/2020 21:27

You definitely don’t need to use a tour to do this.
Yes - that's right, Teds77. I did book using Norway in a Nutshell for convenience but you can definitely just book the various journeys yourself.

If your husband isn't keen on the boat, notanotherpothole (which is a shame as the views are spectacular) you can always just get off at Myrdal, go down to Flåm and then get the Flåm railway back up to Myrdal and carry on to Bergen. However, I would show him some pics of the fab Premium Vessel. It's very comfortable and he could stay inside and relax, and still have a pretty good view. We were there in August but stayed over so we got the first trip of the day in the Premium and it was well worth it, reasonably quiet.

I can really recommend the Fretheim Hotel, it's gorgeous.

I agree, it's unlikely to be cheaper to buy a ticket Oslo-Bergen where you can break the journey in Myrdal, I would just buy two tickets for the two legs of the journey.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?