Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

January weekend break

12 replies

maloofhoof · 19/12/2019 20:27

Looking to book a weekend away for mid to late January for a surprise for DP. I've spent days looking at options but cannot decide. I hoped to go to Iceland but can't find it in my budget for two people which is £500 for flights and hotel. The only two places I don't want to go are Edinburgh and Paris, purely because I want to take teen DD to those places.
Only requirements are to travel from Heathrow, with a maximum transfer time of one hour on arrival. I'd love the destination to be snowy but know that can't be guaranteed.
Does anyone have any ideas or tips if you've been somewhere in January that you think fits the bill? Hoping to book tomorrow night!

OP posts:
Please
or

maloofhoof · 19/12/2019 20:34

Forgot to say, preferably two nights, 3 at a push.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 20/12/2019 06:17

The annual Amsterdam light festival runs from November to January. There are lots of spectacular light sculptures around the canal ring, the River Amstel and other special locations. You can wander around and explore them at your leisure, or follow one of the dedicated routes. There’s also a special canal cruise called Water Colours which is a good way to view most of them.

Please
or

BeardedMum · 20/12/2019 06:18

Krakow

Please
or

Funf · 20/12/2019 18:21

This was excellent value in Iceland
www.bluemountainapartments.is
You can self cater too, but the weather will be very bad so wrap up, you really need to drive and sell cater or its extremely expensive
I would go to Prage or Amsterdam

Please
or

Yellowbutterfly1 · 22/12/2019 13:55

I would have said Krakow but it’s only BA that fly there from Heathrow and they seem to have cut flights during the winter that would have been perfect for a weekend break.

Please
or

BeardedMum · 22/12/2019 14:30

No I flew to Krakow on Ryan air from Stansted a few weeks ago

Please
or

Winkywoop · 22/12/2019 14:31

We went to Vienna last January- beautiful

Please
or

Yellowbutterfly1 · 22/12/2019 17:36

BeardMum. The OP needs to travel from Heathrow.

Please
or

marchingonwithmother · 22/12/2019 17:38

Budapest

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 24/12/2019 06:59

Stockholm.

Please
or

cptartapp · 24/12/2019 07:04

We're going to Seville, not snowy though.
Copenhagen was fab
last year but not cheap.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 24/12/2019 07:28

Prague - probably the most romantic looking city in Europe. Looks very pretty in the snow.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?