Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Has anyone been to the canaries in January?

11 replies

Helmlover1 · 04/12/2019 20:40

If so, what was the weather like? We’re wanting to book up for late January but can’t decide which island to choose...

OP posts:
Please
or

goingtoneedabiggercar · 04/12/2019 20:46

We went in December and it was beautiful. Gran Canaria had the nicest weather of the islands we visited but they were all pretty decent and much better than back home!

Please
or

Todaythiscouldbe · 04/12/2019 20:51

Lanzarote had lovely weather when we went, as did Tenerife. Fuerteventura is windy and colder in the evenings than the others. Gran Canaria is warm but rained a few times. We love the Canaries in winter

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 05/12/2019 06:55

The weather in the Canaries between about November and March is hit and miss. We've been a few times and have had everything from cloudy and 15-20 C in the day time to close to 30 C and hot and sunny all week. There's been the odd rainy day but never anything close to a washout.

We're going next week and the forecast looks good, mostly warm and sunny Smile.

Whichever island you choose, go to the south of the Island for the best chance of nicer weather. We've been in north Tenerife and it's not been great, while it's been hot and sunny in the south.

Please
or

AnyFucker · 05/12/2019 07:01

Yep. Been to Lanzarote in Nov, Dec, Feb and March
Booked to go again in Jan
Cool in the evenings. Can be a bit changeable. Goes dark at 6pm so no long light evenings but always had some decent bikini weather for a few hours during the day.

Please
or

Skap · 05/12/2019 16:26

Yes, been to them all in January. I love that dose of sunshine in mid winter.
It's not reliably hot and sunny. You can expect some warm sunshine most days. It gets dark early and evenings are cool. Swimming needs a heated pool. I did once have a full week of cloud which was disappointing.
You need different clothes than you might take for a summer Mediterranean holiday.
I would avoid Fuetaventura as it's very windy and that makes it feel much cooler, I've found it a bit cool therein July.
Southern tenerife or lanzarote would be safer best.

Please
or

Surfskatefamily · 05/12/2019 16:28

Its awesome.. but I suspect I'm there for the same reasons as you (wild surf)

Weather is best east and south of gran canaria that time of year

Please
or

EL8888 · 05/12/2019 16:30

Warm and sunny! But of a breeze but that’s typical for Lanzarote

Please
or

20viona · 05/12/2019 16:38

I went to lanzarote early March last year and it was bloody freezing. Wouldn't waste my money and go in spring/winter again!!

Please
or

woogal · 05/12/2019 22:05

We went in late December one year and it was roasting.

Please
or

Skap · 05/12/2019 22:20

20viona it's TRUE it was a bad winter last year. I was there end of March early April and first few days were sunny but chilly, cold wind, second half of the week hot and no wind.
That's why i always say it's not reliable but because I've only had a full week of bad weather once in probably 30 years of going I think the odds are in favour.

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 21/12/2019 08:02

We did Lanzarote a couple of years ago in February and it was cold and windy. A couple of okay days.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?