Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Do I need to clear immigration in DC when transiting to NY?

8 replies

Milomonster · 03/12/2019 21:25

I’ll be flying to NYC via DC. Stopover is around 3.5 hours. Will I need to clear security before changing planes? I had a hard time with immigration last time I was in NYC and it took 4 hrs before I was cleared to leave the airport.

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 04/12/2019 07:06

You will clear both immigration and customs at the first point of entry into the USA so this will be in Washington DC.

Your second flight from Washington to New York will be a domestic flight so there will be no customs or immigration to clear.

Please
or

lifeisgoodagain · 04/12/2019 07:11

Yes, expect to take ages. The flip side is you just walk off the plane the other end

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 04/12/2019 21:03

Yes. Though didn’t take me long at all last time.

Please
or

Milomonster · 05/12/2019 07:51

Thank you everyone. I land I Dulles on the 25th and have 3.5 hours before flight takes off from the other DC airport to NYC. Stupidly, I didn’t realize I’d need to change airports. I won’t have checked luggage but due to my background, I most likely will be interviewed at immigration. Worst case, I’ll get a train or bus to NYC.

OP posts:
Please
or

SantasLittleHelper2019 · 05/12/2019 19:56

Are you flying out of Reagan or Baltimore?

Reagan will be tight - Baltimore impossible in that time scale.

Dulles is much quicker to clear than JFK. However I think you will be hard pressed to make your connection.

Also are you flying in Christmas Day?

Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 06/12/2019 02:20

Unless you’re flying from Dublin, you’ll clear immigration and customs in Dulles.

Please
or

Milomonster · 06/12/2019 08:09

Yes flying on Christmas Day. LHR to Dulles to Regan to NYC.

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 06/12/2019 09:54

You may well miss your flight from Reagan, is there any way you can change this now to a later departure or even change it so you actually fly into JFK or Newark instead?. There is no direct metro train service from Dulles airport into DC so you will need to take a taxi or Uber.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?