Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Agadir as a lone woman - would you?

6 replies

Witchofzog · 27/10/2019 18:31

I have just seen someone's photos of Agadir, and despite saying I don't want to go to Morocco, I think I do now. It looks beautiful. But how would I fare as a lone woman hoping to go in February? I love a g n t while watching the sun go down but on another site it said that in most bars a lone woman is seen as a prostitute and that you will never get an uninterrupted meal etc which is my idea of hell.

Can anyone advise? Thsnk you Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Witchofzog · 28/10/2019 15:08

Bump Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

SJane48S · 02/11/2019 08:34

I wouldn’t personally no. I’ve been to Marrakech not Agadir and female travellers seemed to garner quite a bit of attention which if you’re on your own would feel more oppressive. I’ve lived in the Middle East (which obviously Morocco isn’t but they share some Islamic cultural thought practices) and I’d agree with the site that as a solo female traveller, some unpleasant assumptions would be made about your availability for sex. If you were just to sit in the resort I’m sure you’d be fine but why bother going there in the first place if that’s all you are going to do?

Please
or

Witchofzog · 04/11/2019 16:07

@sjane48s thank you. I think I will find a different destination as it would also be my first solo trip so I don't want to put lots of obstacles in my way

OP posts:
Please
or

whataboutbob · 13/11/2019 16:44

I grew up in North Africa and I agree with Jane. A woman who lives alone let alone sits in a restaurant alone is seen as” available “. And outside of marriage that means one thing only to some north Africans- you’re a prostitute.

Please
or

cinders15 · 13/11/2019 16:49

Never in a squillion years - sorry!!

Please
or

Witchofzog · 14/11/2019 09:55

I am so glad I asked this question. Thank you everyone Smile

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?