Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

2-3 day European trip at Christmas

11 replies

HappyHolidays75 · 24/09/2019 20:12

Any recommendations for a short haul trip for 2-3 days just before Christmas?
Flights are well priced for Barcelona and Prague but no doubt plenty of other places too!
Our budget is limited, so food and accommodation need to be reasonably priced too.
Kids aged 9-15.
Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

PreschoolYes · 24/09/2019 20:20

We've done Berlin just before Christmas, not with kids so can't comment on that. Assume plenty of hotel choice and food in pubs etc reasonable

Please
or

DorisDaysDadsDogsDead · 24/09/2019 20:48

Prague is good before Christmas. Christmas markets, tubs of carp on street corners...

Please
or

SJane48S · 28/09/2019 06:58

I like both cities but I’d go Prague too! It’s very atmospheric in winter and an incredibly beautiful city

Please
or

cptartapp · 28/09/2019 07:42

We're off to Seville.

Please
or

HappyHolidays75 · 29/09/2019 09:45

Thanks! I'll look more at flight prices.

OP posts:
Please
or

caperplips · 04/10/2019 15:58

We went to Prague in December last year. It was our second time to visit the city but previous time was in October.
It is a beautiful city!

Please
or

caperplips · 04/10/2019 15:59

I've been to Barcelona several times and it, too, it gorgeous. It also had a Christmas Market around the outside of the Gothic Cathedral just off Las Ramblas.

Please
or

Herocomplex · 04/10/2019 16:01

Budapest - very good value and so much to do. Those beautiful baths as well, lovely on a cold day!

Please
or

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt · 04/10/2019 16:10

I've been to Bruges recently and think it would be a great Christmas break, really compact and easy to navigate on foot, and looks of stuff that would be interesting for the kids too. It will be more expensive when you're there than Prague, Budapest etc, but if you're based up North the ferry over there is very reasonable.

Please
or

PandaTurtle · 14/10/2019 12:15

Bruges is lovely and can do via Eurostar - prices can vary so depends if can get a good deal. Prague is lovely too. We did Rome at Christmas one year which was nice and got very lucky with the weather.

Please
or

Beebumble2 · 23/10/2019 22:38

Malaga, I’ve just got back. Fantastic coastal city. I’m planning to go back with DH in December to see the Christmas light show.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?