Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mixed sleeping rooms

12 replies

Jolonglegs · 21/09/2019 17:27

DP and I have recently joined a walking club, and they're planning a weekend away in October. They'll be staying in some place that has mixed sleeping rooms, and I'm not sure I can cope with that. I have images of me removing my bra and a man walks in.
Has anyone any experience of mixed sleeping rooms, and how did they manage?

OP posts:
Please
or

Helenluvsrob · 21/09/2019 17:29

Uh. Change in the bathroom into a robust set of pjs and no one sees anything they shouldn’t.
Or book your own accommodation nearby

Please
or

Jolonglegs · 21/09/2019 19:26

Thanks Helen. We don't want to book separate accommodation as we want to be part of the club. Your suggestion seems to fit the bill. Robust PJ's!

OP posts:
Please
or

beth821 · 21/09/2019 19:30

I've done one of those and it was fine. You can always change in the bathroom but I don't remember having any issues. The one I did only had 4 to a room so it wasn't like lots of people in and out all the time. But.... Take ear plugs... Hoep you enjoy

Please
or

saraclara · 21/09/2019 19:33

I travel solo, and until recently (I've started snoring!) I used to stay in hostel dorms all over the world. A good proportion of them were mixed, and I never had a problem. I wear sleep shorts and a tee shirt type top, and change in the bathrooms.

I'm ancient compared to your average hostel dorm mate though!
I still travel in mixed accommodation on sleeper trains though. There's nowhere to change really, so I tend to sleep in my clothes and change on arrival in the morning.

Please
or

SnuggyBuggy · 21/09/2019 19:34

I've done it with friends. We all just got changed in the bathroom and wore modest PJs.

Please
or

Elieza · 21/09/2019 19:52

PJs that look like loungewear that you could go outside in would hide a multitude of things and not be sexy or show anything at all. Just hope the dudes are the same and have PJs and dont sleep naked or something. Perhaps that could be a rule, no nudity at any time in mixed cabins!? Put you right off your sausage and egg breakfast.....!

Please
or

Marinetta · 21/09/2019 19:56

I've stayed in mixed dorms when travelling but always opted for the female only room if one was available. The main issue I had with the men in shared rooms was the snoring and the stench.be prepared for a sleepless night, maybe take some ear plugs and just don't expect the room to smell fresh.

Please
or

MaryPopppins · 21/09/2019 19:59

Oh I couldn't cope at all. Sorry.

I'm soon to share a room with my mum who I know snores and already dreading that.

Couldn't cope at all with strangers. Let alone men I didn't know. I wouldn't sleep a wink.

I mean if you're friendly with another couple in the club and the rooms are for 4 maybe you can pair up with who you'd want to?

I'm quite particular with sleeping arrangements/holiday accommodation though and need to know everything about a place before arrival. So I know I'm far from the norm.

Please
or

saraclara · 21/09/2019 20:10

The weird thing is that people are prepare to hang out in bikinis and swimming costumes with the opposite sex in the daytime, yet somehow freak out at the idea of sleeping in the same room in nightwear covered in bedclothes

Seriously, there's a bonkers lack of logic here.

Please
or

Jolonglegs · 21/09/2019 20:20

Saraclara Its not the sleeping I'm worried about, its the undressing and dressing, and going to the loo etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 26/09/2019 01:34

My then-boyfriend and I stayed in mixed hostel rooms on a road trip many years ago. At one place I was woken in the middle of the night by a couple having sex in the bunk underneath mine. The whole bunk bed set was rocking! They finished, went to sleep, but woke up a few hours later and were at it again.

Never again!

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 26/09/2019 01:37

I would only share a room with my husband. Other members of the club? Not a chance.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?