Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Ipanema Beach hotel recommendations

6 replies

bevelino · 06/09/2019 18:24

I am due to meet dd in Rio in November. Please could someone recommend a reasonably priced hotel near Ipanema Beach.

OP posts:
Please
or

LifeofClimb · 06/10/2019 15:09

Niteroi is cheaper, and you can get the ferry across. PM me if you want to the hotel name for Niteroi I would recommend the one I stayed in.

Please
or

JellyfishAndShells · 06/10/2019 15:23

We stayed at the Sol, facing the beach at Ipanema - nice and clean, pleasant atmosphere., good breakfast. Had it recommended by a Brazilian colleague whose family had an apartment around the corner. Nothing like the big, glitzy hotels over on Copa Cobana - I mean that as a positive !

Please
or

hadenough · 08/10/2019 06:06

Sofitel is pretty decent. It has a nice bar on the last floor.

Please
or

hadenough · 08/10/2019 06:12

But if you're looking for a cheaper option a little away from the beach, try Mercure Arpoador. It has a super convenient location between Copacabana and Ipanema. Easy to get to both and a few places to eat nearby as well as supermarkets. Enjoy Rio. It's amazing.

Please
or

bevelino · 10/10/2019 21:52

Thank you for your recommendations regarding hotels. I am quite nervous about going because people keep telling me how dangerous Rio is.

OP posts:
Please
or

hadenough · 11/10/2019 09:59

Rio can be dangerous but a lot of it depends where you are going and what you are doing. If you're staying in Ipanema area that's a good decision. Uber works fairly well too. It's the standard advise though - don't wear any jewelry and don't get out any electronic devices when you're in the street. Sadly Brasil does have a reputation for crime and it's true that somewhere like Rio is considerably more dangerous than Buenos Aires but as long as you are sensible, you will have a great time.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?