Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

40 minutes transit 😭😭😭 *pulling my hair out*

10 replies

Aafi · 05/09/2019 07:35

I'm travelling with Oman air and have a 40 minutes changeover at Muscat airport. To add to my anxiety more , I have a toddler and a kid ALL BY MYSELF....YouTube videos are saying that it's manageable, Muscat airport is not that big but I'd like some experienced mum's talking as of course only we can understand the trouble these little monsters throw at us making a 10 minute walk last at least an hour. Any help???? Please shower some reassurance 😬πŸ₯Ί

OP posts:
Please
or

ReasonedCamper · 05/09/2019 07:39

Is it a through ticket?
If so they will make sure you catch it. They have planned and sold it as a connecting flight.

Speak to the cabin staff.

If you have two point to Point tickets that is more of a worry.

Please
or

WhereDoesThisToiletGo · 05/09/2019 07:40

Are both flights with the same airline?
It used to be that the airline had to ensure connecting passengers made it to the second flight or delayed it, but that might not be the case any more.
Can you contact customer service to ask about transfer assistance?

Please
or

mummmy2017 · 05/09/2019 07:42

The airport will help you.
When our plane arrived late we were met at the first plane by staff and rushed to the other plane in ten mins.
Remember internal flights mean no checks.
Your luggage goes on its own, so ask for help at the middle.

Please
or

BumblebeeBum · 05/09/2019 07:48

No need to stress.

How old is child? Make sure baby is in a sling or pushchair so that they go at your pace. Depending on age of child, you could add a buggy board or just hold their hand.

If using a buggy - let the staff know who stow it for you that you have a short turnaround for your next flight so need it back ASAP.

Make sure they have been to the loo/nappy change towards the end of the first flight. Have minimal hand luggage so you can manage buggy/sling, luggage and hand hold. Consider backpack. Don’t ask your child to hold hand luggage.

Try to get seats booked for both flights that are near to the front door of the plane.

Make it an adventure/race for the oldest child and offer sweets/magazine/other treat as reward once you are on the next flight.

Watch videos of the transit airport to get a feel for the layout and signage. Try to find the gate number for the second flight before boarding the first flight.

Good luck (you won’t need it!)

Please
or

Peony99 · 05/09/2019 07:59

I've been met off the plane by a landrover before - literally the moment we stopped they called my name and a few others and rushed us off the plane - and driven straight to the next one.

So I made it fine, but my bag didn't. I suspect that's not uncommon, so I'd make sure to pack essentials in hand luggage.

Please
or

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD · 05/09/2019 08:02

If you have a small child they will whisk you through!

Please
or

sunshineyweather · 05/09/2019 08:20

I do transits through Muscat airport fairly regularly with work, you should be fine!

Cabin crew often announce the gate number of connecting flights when coming in to land; and they ask anyone with a connection time of less than an hour to let them know (so they can get them off the plane quickly, and met by airport staff).

You'll need to go through a security screening again, but the distances to walk aren't huge.

You can ask them for assistance, which would include golf buggy etc, but they ask you to remain seated for all other passengers to leave the plane first, before they come and help you off, so that may not actually save time.

I would definitely recommend you speak with the cabin crew on the plane, so they know your connection time, but you will not be the only person in this situation. The majority of passengers through middle east airports are transiting, and if you're doing something like UK-Australia, you'll find lots of people on exactly the same planes as you.

Please
or

Aafi · 05/09/2019 08:37

Thank you all lovelies β™₯️ I'll definitely ask for assistance and let my crew know about the transit...you guys are right I won't be the only person getting a connection there. I have a thorough ticket of Oman air so yeah they should wait for me 😁 I didn't know about the assistance as I always travelled 2 hour transit with husband and only 1 toddler but now alone and an extra edition. I will be carrying a buggy which I will check in on the aeroplane door , I was more worried about not getting a buggy on Muscat would've ended up in a nightmare but now I'd rather ask for their airport carts (don't know what they are called) thank you guys so much. Hopefully I'll pull through

OP posts:
Please
or

leasedaudi · 05/09/2019 10:29

Some airports like Dubai have security checks after the first plane and before the second. Two security checks and you've already been through it when you got on the plane you disembarked from. God knows why. Bloody pain in the arse.

Please
or

Aafi · 05/09/2019 12:02

Yup , that's too much of a hassle .... specially with children it's a NIGHTMARE!!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?